De Zeven Provincien

WiGgLz01

Any paper model available of it? Gorgeous ship.

DeZeven_2.jpg-.jpg

lehcyfer

Not Seven Provinces, but quite similar look has Aegis Japanese destroyer
JMSDF Destroyer DDG173-Kongo
from Paper Model Studio

1.jpg

No links on Zealot so just google the blue text - it should be the first link you'll get

lehcyfer

Don't worry about that, just print that one out, build it and when it's finished you'll find another :)

Print the model twice - this way you'll have extra parts if you make mistakes.

The best way to start with making models is to make small stuff first. Don't start from the hull, instead make small repeating details, like the drums on page 9, the boxy superstructures and other objects on the board.

Start with the parts that are repeatable (there many of them). Make each one as if it was a new model for you. Don't worry if you make mistake - if the part looks not good then simply think over what to do better , cut out next one and glue it again. For example there is 15 parts nr 11 - if at each one you try to make it better - then when you'll make the 15'th it will be very nice looking. Then simply throw away the ones that look substandard, take the second printout and glue next until you have 15 nice parts nr 11 - if needed print the page 9 again.

Many people start from ships, make the hull, perhaps some superstructues - all that crooky and with gaps - and then get bored with the small stuff and drop the model and sometimes modeling in paper altogether.

If you resist this notion and build the ship the other way around, starting with by gluing the repeatable stuff, then you'll learn to assemble the parts precisely. I mean - if there's 15 pieces then you have to make at least one that's good looking. Use it as a standard and try to make all 15 as good or better. Treat it as a model in itself. When you make it then you're ready to tackle next parts on page 9 - the same way. You'll find that now you will make less mistakes and glue it both better and faster.

Choose parts that are like a models by itself - like drums, boxes, rescue boats, chimneys, superstructures, starting from those that are small and most numerous and
ending on the largest and singular. When you get to the superstructures you may be able to make them good looking at the first try, without the need to repeat gluing them. Finally make the hull and glue onto it all the parts you've made. This will be real fun and exciting - the model will pop out as if by itself, all crisp, shiny and good looking. This can make you so fired up that you'll want to make another model like that.

Enjoy!

WiGgLz01

thank you very much, i am going along with the manual though. i have just glued down part b to the rest of the ship, so i am no moving on to the antenna tower structure. very cool looking ship!

i am not new to paper modeling. i started about 4 years ago with spacecraft, and for the past 2 years it was been strictly skyscrapers. that has resulted in a metropolis of about 350 individual buildings on my desk. for the past few months, however, i have been caught up in debate at school (4 local tournaments in January and February and the Harvard national tournament), but now that I am on spring break, i have decided i would pick the hobby back up again (debate season is also over for this year).

again, thank you very much ;)

Nicolas Wiggins

lehcyfer

To the back - but first cut out the green fields in H1.
If you're happy with the structural stability of the truss you can just paint the inside grey - or cut a grey paper using the H2-5 as templates, glue it inside without gluing H1 into a truss, then open H1 flat and cut out the green fields.

D

Diderick A. den Bakker

There is no model of the 'Zeven Provinciën', but two years ago I did publish an excellent model of another modern Dutch Navy vessel: Landing Platform Dock Johann de Witt. Look for my series Paper Trade, on page >Shipping >Navy, www.zeistbouwplaten.nl.