Dcc Wiring Question

Discussion in 'DCC & Electronics' started by DMWTRAIN, Oct 7, 2005.

DMWTRAIN New Member

I currently have a DC block control HO layout.
    The track feeders currently are fed through dpdt switch's on a control panel.
    I just bought a Digitrax Zephyr dcc system and want to hook it up.
    Everything I read or see in dcc wiring shows track feeders running directly off 2 buss wires running underneath and parallel to the tracks.
    Can I continue to run the feeders as now exist or rewire.
    Potentially, the blocking dpdt can be used for troubleshooting on the dcc system.(or I think)

2. tillsbury

tillsbury Member

Yup, that'll work fine (so long as your wires are a reasonable thickness and your layout isn't too massive). Replace one of your cabs with the DCC system, and then you can run part DC on one cab, and/or switch everything to the other cab and run fully DCC.

And yes, it'll be useful for troubleshooting I should think, too.

3. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

As long as your feeds are relatively short, (i.e. you are not running small wire 100 feet ;)) you should be fine.

4. seanm

seanm Member

Be sure to run ONLY one or the other if you leave both DC and DCC hooked up. I have heard bad things can happen if you have adjacent blocks in different modes and ave a train bridge them.

I did exactly what you are talking about on my last layout. I just removed replaced the output from my DCC power pack with the output from my DCC command station and it worked fine. I did find a few spots I needed to add feeders to. The train would slow down and it would not pass the quarter test.