DCC - Routes

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by rockislandmike, Feb 11, 2003.

1. rockislandmike

rockislandmike Active Member

Just looking into DCC, and I notice that when Digitrax's website is comparing their systems, they have a category called "routes" - no for the Zephyr and Empire Builder, but yes for the Super Chief. What does that mean ???
  2. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

Mike, They are refering to the ability to throw several turnouts at once, thereby setting a route. Each turnout needs a decoder (there are decoders that will operate 4, 8 or perhaps even more switch machines). Each turnout has its own address and they can be cascaded so one button will throw for a route. While many use their throttles to throw turnouts, I don't, speed, direction, lights and sound I use, turnouts I throw the usual way. My reasoning is that if the engineer had control of a function, it should be duplicated on the throttle. If not, not. Never saw a train crew throw turnouts from the loco cab.
  3. rockislandmike

rockislandmike Active Member

Thanks, Gary, not something I really want either.
  4. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Turnout decoders

Gary: are turnout decoders in the same price range as loco decoders? The price for switch machines is bad enough; wouldn't want to add twice that for a decoder.
    not from a loco, but streetcar lines use it all the time. Usual method is power on/power off, but Toronto has a button on the dash board.
  5. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

Dave, When I typed that I figured someone was going to come back with an example of throwing switches from inside a cab. There always seems to be an exception!

The stationary decoders for throwing turnouts can be had for about $10 per machine. This is another reason I don't use them. There may be cheaper ones out there, I don't know. Digitrax makes two, the DS44 and DS54. The 54 has been around for a long time, costs $80 list, $64 at Tony's. This throws 4 turnouts, and provides several sets of inputs. The DS44 goes for $32 at Tony's and also throws 4 turnouts.