DCC - Routes

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Mike, They are refering to the ability to throw several turnouts at once, thereby setting a route. Each turnout needs a decoder (there are decoders that will operate 4, 8 or perhaps even more switch machines). Each turnout has its own address and they can be cascaded so one button will throw for a route. While many use their throttles to throw turnouts, I don't, speed, direction, lights and sound I use, turnouts I throw the usual way. My reasoning is that if the engineer had control of a function, it should be duplicated on the throttle. If not, not. Never saw a train crew throw turnouts from the loco cab.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Turnout decoders

Gary: are turnout decoders in the same price range as loco decoders? The price for switch machines is bad enough; wouldn't want to add twice that for a decoder.
Never saw a train crew throw turnouts from the loco cab.
not from a loco, but streetcar lines use it all the time. Usual method is power on/power off, but Toronto has a button on the dash board.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Dave, When I typed that I figured someone was going to come back with an example of throwing switches from inside a cab. There always seems to be an exception!

The stationary decoders for throwing turnouts can be had for about $10 per machine. This is another reason I don't use them. There may be cheaper ones out there, I don't know. Digitrax makes two, the DS44 and DS54. The 54 has been around for a long time, costs $80 list, $64 at Tony's. This throws 4 turnouts, and provides several sets of inputs. The DS44 goes for $32 at Tony's and also throws 4 turnouts.