DCC Question?

trainwhiz20

Aug 9, 2004
Tampa, FL
Masonjar is correct. It depends.

Like I know my Soundtraxx Sound/Decoder equipped loco will not run on regular DC.

HOWEVER, if you are looking for a decoder that does, Atlas' is very nice. Their dual-mode decoders can be utilizied on either DCC or DC layouts--the best part is, you don't have to do anything! It will run on either right out of the box (if installed on an Atlas loco). I have one locomotive like this, and it runs like a gem on both DCC or DC. I would highly recommend the dual-mode decoder if you aren't looking for anything fancy.

Hope this helps. :thumb:

seanm

Oct 11, 2004
Sunny CA
www.pegnsean.net
Also I have found that DCC equipped (At least in N-Scale) locos, do not like pulse power when on a DC track. If you have one of those advanced throttles that injects pulses at low speeds you may not like the results.

richalex2010

Jan 31, 2005
Richmond, Va
What is the cheapest DCC system that can run multiple locomotives in the same consist exactly the same (Like an FA/FB set) and have at least 5 different trains running at the same time? Also, How would I set up a dual tracked mainline to be able to have 2 trains running in opposite directions?

Bikerdad

Oct 17, 2003
Southwestern US
Visit site
The cheapest DCC system that can run 5 multi-loco consists would be the Digitrax Zephyr, IF you're dealing with N scale. Otherwise, you'll need to go with a system that has 5amp booster.

Setting up the dual mainline is easy: hook power feeds up to each track from your booster. That's it.