DCC or traditional

DeltaRomeo`

Oct 16, 2005
New Albany, IN
Hello everyone, I am new to the board, and new to the hobby. I've started construction on my layout already, and I am doing it in the traditional DC method; namely because I love the wiring. I was wondering, how many people use the DCC method over the traditional DC method of wiring. I've spoken to a large number of people and the majority of them use DCC, the hobby store attendant even said that very few people still follow the traditional method. So, I ask: How many are traditional and how many are DCC?

Union Pacific

Oct 8, 2005
Virginia
I would love DCC but the $$$$ is a little low it has been gone down alot since my dad started his layout in 1995. I would go with DCC when the trime and money is right but as of know DC all the way :thumb: :D :D . I am modeling UP bailey yard....in DC :eek: :eek: I will hjave about 100 switches and 250 blocks :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: alot eh ;)
thats my 2 cetns off tp the hobbystore

thanx,

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Ben, Don't want to start a DC versus DCC war here, but 250 blocks and DCC is too much money? At .50 per block switch you are about at break even. Maybe you get your switches free? A lot of time involved there too. And 100 turnouts? A sizable investment as well. You'll be flipping 250 block switches? It seems that yours is a great example of a layout that could benefit from DCC.

Gary

Union Pacific

Oct 8, 2005
Virginia
:rolleyes: yes I know :thumb: I wonder if i could make it into the record book for the largest amourt of blocks and switches :D:D well I like the complexity of DC its alot more realistic since the operators have to plan VERY well and can't get to close or the train will switch blocks and go crazy :eek: :eek:
well DCC is *hopfully* in the NEAR future :D

thanx,

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Frankly if the local scene is any indication of DCC then DC still rules..
Now,you hear how cheap DCC is..The truth is there is a lot of hidden costs stating with decoders for EACH engine at $20.00 plus dollars a pop..A extra throttle? They start in at $79.95 and up to include over $200.00..You might need a power booster,those will start at $179.00..This can be seen at

http://www.digitrax.com/

Now DCC is a choice modelers must make for their selves and they should look at all costs and judge if DCC is worth the money when in all truth its boils down to a fancy way of running trains.

BTW..I have DCC and Sound which is currently in storage and may never be used again because the layout I am building is being built for solo operations and in truth DCC is not needed for my operation plan.. :D

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
I personaly think that DC is ok for the first layout, on a little 4x8, but i would get DCC the second it gets much bigger than that. its to impossible for you to run only 2 locomotives once it gets bigger. i already have that problem, because i need atleast 3 locomotives to run my model railroad. one is parked the majority of the time, but it slows things down because i can't move move one of my locomotives, meaning the fright is gonn have to wait a while, or the commuters will get angry.

DeltaRomeo`

Oct 16, 2005
New Albany, IN
I like DC because of the complexity in the wiring and operation. The layout I am planning on is approx. 6ft long and 4ft wide. Plus, I have already got an idea for an extension of it, but won't start work on it yet because it will be under the control of a seperate control panel. In my head the extension will go on and be approx 4ft long and 3ft wide. It will all be DC just for the fact I want to wire it all.

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
Dc

For someone just starting out, and just now buying, I would in all probability say go DCC. That seems to be the going thing nowadays.

I have 40-50 locos and only one is DCC. That mean I would have to shell out a pile of coin to change over. Besides, this old dog not only can't learn new tricks, he can't even remember the old ones.

Lynn

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
you can still do all the complex wireing ( so you can use analog trains on a DCC layout) and ge the added bonus of wireing extra lights, and decoders into locomotives, lol, there more wireing for you.

DeltaRomeo`

Oct 16, 2005
New Albany, IN
That is true about wiring for both DCC and DC on the same track, but the complexity of operating a DC track is also more "me", so if I only plan on operating a DC layout there is no real point in wasting the money on the DCC equipment

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Personally, the only place that I could see DCC being of any interest to me would be to allow the protypical use of rear-end helper locomotives controlled independently of the head-end power. That scenario would also require another engineer to man the throttle, and I usually operate alone. The other bells and whistles (literally),along with lights, sound, or locomotive programming hold no attraction for me.
Wayne