DCC on outdoors line

Discussion in 'On30 Forum' started by chuck faison, Feb 18, 2007.

1. chuck faison

chuck faison New Member

Any one have any thaughts on a DCC On30 garden railroad.Would not be very big,just a switching line but would like to run some sound if possible..thanks for any info..
  2. pgandw

pgandw Active Member

The main problem is going to be keeping the track clean enough for good electrical contact to the locomotive. Especially On30, which is relatively small and light to be running outdoors - it's only HO track. In addition to the normal dust, dirt, and oil that makes track indoors dirty, you now have wind-blown debris, dust, dirt, animal droppings, animals gnawing, twigs, leaves, and rain- splattered dirt to contend with.

Sound-equipped locomotives are much more sensitive to losing contact than regular DCC locos. When there is any loss of contact and power, the decoder tends to have dropouts or resets of the sound.

A keep-alive circuit is available for some decoders, but takes a fair amount of space for the large capacitors required.

One other consideration is that I don't believe there is any HO track that has ties that have been treated for UV exposure. This is a big deal in any location that has sunlight - the UV in sunlight quickly reduces regular plastic to no structural strength. Indoor paints fade quickly and unevenly in sunlight.

Not to say it can't be done - it can. It will be more maintenance-intensive than an indoor layout.

hope it goes well
  3. chuck faison

chuck faison New Member

well I thought about all those things,so between your logic and my wifes logic I guess I will build in the garage,,hope she doesnt mind parking her ferrari out side...
  4. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Why not go for a G scale garden layout? You can get batteries on board, and use R/C technology for control. Then you don't have to worry about clean track and conductivity. ;) :D

5. scubadude

scubadude Member

Go to www.wiringfordcc.com. Allan Gartner is a dive buddy of mine. He is an expert on this, as his backyard is a garden railway with DCC.
  6. Canopus

Canopus Member

I have a 16mm scale (SM32) narrow gauge railway out in my garden that uses RC. I've rigged up the locomotives so that I can turn the lights on and off, and operate the couplers from switches on the transmitter. I don't install sound because personally I don't like it, but using this system it would be quite easy. Power comes from batteries on the locomotives, so you can let the tracks go rusty if you so wish (I do, as I think it looks more realistic).