dcc newbie question.

darius28z

Nov 27, 2005
im just starting out in m.r. definatley want to run dcc.what i would like to do is run 4 differnt trains at anytime ,with sound on my engines,is this possible can you control switches with dcc too.what would be the best system for this ,from what i have read in magazines some units can control lots of trains ,but are real expensive.others are not so pricey can they do the same things??im going to have a L shaped layout the smaller leg part being stageing into 2 continuos ovals of some sorts with breakoffs in spots,for backing in and breaking i think its called.any help here would be apreciated im starting my benchwork this weekend..:thumb:

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I think the Prodigy from MRC is an inexpensive dcc system that will have the capacity to run 4 trains. I know dcc systems will operate turnouts, but I don't see why anyone would care about that sort of thing. A remote controlled electric switch machine would do the job without needing dcc to do it. The only other question I have is are you going to run the layout by yourself? I have tried running two trains simitaneously, and found it to be a handful. Runing 4 trains on dcc by youself at the same time is asking for a train wreck I think.

darius28z

Nov 27, 2005
not running all 4 at once ,just the ability to control 4 differnt ones,maybe 2 at once 1 on a long oval one inside smaller oval.hope these dont seem like dumb questions.when i was a kid my tyco set was one big cirlce ,i guess im looking for real like operation now .not just roundy round,if one is on a loop the ability to move another to a certain part of layout .pick up cars move them to other spots .etc.but i dont know wich system would be best for this for the money,;)

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
One other thing to keep in mind is with dcc you program your throttle to comunicate with a locomotive or consist. If you want to run a second train, you need to talk to it with a second trhottle. A third train requires a third throttle etc. A basic prodigy system would cost about $100.00, but I think it only comes with 2 throttles. To run 4 trains you would need 4 throttles, which would cost extra.

CalFlash

Oct 31, 2004
central Florida
Russ Bellinis said:
I know dcc systems will operate turnouts, but I don't see why anyone would care about that sort of thing. A remote controlled electric switch machine would do the job without needing dcc to do it.

DCC control of turnouts is nice if you want to create a macro command to throw a series of turnouts to setup a specific route. I use it to select individual tracks in my lower level staging/reversing loops (can throw up to 3 turnouts with a single command). However, I will use conventional toggle switches for the upper visible portion of my layout.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Russ Bellinis said:
One other thing to keep in mind is with dcc you program your throttle to comunicate with a locomotive or consist. If you want to run a second train, you need to talk to it with a second trhottle. A third train requires a third throttle etc. A basic prodigy system would cost about $100.00, but I think it only comes with 2 throttles. To run 4 trains you would need 4 throttles, which would cost extra.

This is not strictly true, as you can use the same throttle to control all four trains if you are willing to let the trains in motion continue on their way... You will have to flip between them all - this can be a pain, and may increase your chance of a cornfield meet...! ;)

However, Digitrax throttles like the DT100, DT300 and DT400 have two "throttles" on each throttle, if you follow me. Each has two knobs for control of two trains without flipping between them. So in this case, you would technically only need two Digitrax throttles to run 4 trains.

Andrew

darius28z

Nov 27, 2005
cool thanks for the help guys two throttles at least ehh.makes sense,definately dont want a cornfeild smash up..:eek: