DCC in LL SD7

Jaws

Jul 1, 2003
Meridian, ID
Visit site
I have been advised by the man who is doing my DCC installs that he cannot make satisfactory installation in Lifelike SD7s because of their plastic frames.

Anyone have any experience with these SD7s?

C

Catt

Have no experience with DCC in the LL SD7 but I would like to knoiw what the plastic frame has to do with a DCC install.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Like Catt I have no experience with that model, but what in the world does the frame have to do with the installation? Are you comfortable with soldering? If so, consider doing this install yourself. There should be wires from both rails from both trucks coming to a pcb. In all likelyhood the colors of the wires won't meet DCC standards, but don't worry about that. You'll be able to see which rail each wire is coming from. The decoder will have instructions for which rail gets connected to the red decoder lead and which to the black. I think red is to the right rail but am not sure, I myself just check the diagram in the instructions during installs. In any event, the orange and grey decoder wires go to the motor. If the loco goes backward when the throttle indicates forward, reverse motor leads. I use alligator clips to check prior to soldering. Connect the lights and you are done. This all takes 15 minutes.

If there is some factor I'm overlooking let me know, or if you want to give it a go and have questions, ask away.

Gary

Jaws

Jul 1, 2003
Meridian, ID
Visit site
Thanks for the info, folks.

Unfortunately I'd screw up fastening two barbed wires together in an open field. Hence my chances of doing a DCC hookup are less than promising.

I'll just look around and try to find another installer who can do the job.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
If your installer has a problem with a plasti frame, he doesn't know what he is doing. In wiring up for dcc, the motor should be isolated completely from the frame or it may take out your decoder. A plastic frame is perfect.