dcc for new layout

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by ho_scale_rail, Aug 8, 2005.

1. ho_scale_rail

ho_scale_rail Member

I am building an n scale layout and would like to be able to run multipule trains, so i was led to dcc. What is the cheapest dcc system i can get for n scale and how much will the locomotives cost me?
  2. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

It may be a good idea to pick up a copy of Model Railroder Magazine and look at the ads to give you answers to your questions.
  3. ho_scale_rail

ho_scale_rail Member

i have 3 issues of the magzine.
  4. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

Do you want cheap, or do you want reliable?

Several companies offer DCC, however, our club is in the process of researching for a DCC system for our new 16'x40' HO layout. We asked most of the clubs in southern Ontario about which system, almost all said that unless you want to spend lots of time tweaking the system or replacing bad hand units, that you should get Digitrax. It is not the cheapest, but the cheap ones are not reliable and you end up spending more to fix/replace them usually just after the warranty runs out.
  5. DavidMcIntyre

DavidMcIntyre New Member

You can buy a Digitrax Zephyr starter set for around $160 at various places. It is a very strong system, and if you decide to expand it's very easy. I started with a Zephyr, but have already added several DT400 throttles, a bunch of turnout decoders, reversing loop controllers, etc. So, it can form the basis of a large system while not costing much to get started.

6. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I'm using a DigiTrax Empire builder, it is very easy to run many trains at the same time. All of the DigiTrax systems are very easy to use, especially if you get a DT400 throttle.