Dcc Decoders

Discussion in 'DCC & Electronics' started by miroslavmimi, Feb 10, 2007.

1. miroslavmimi

miroslavmimi New Member

I'm new here. I have 3 old Mehano locos and i will put DCC decoder inside.What decoder u recommend?
  2. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

Just currious, what's the red base suposed to be for? Oh, and Welcome to the Gauge!:thumb:
  3. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

If you look at the decoder manufacturers' web sites, you should be able to find recommendations for your locos. Try Digitrax, MRC, TCS, etc...

With the older locos, the key is to make sure that the motor can be isolated so it only receives power from the decoder, and there are no shorts through the frame.

4. miroslavmimi

miroslavmimi New Member

Thanks for advice
  5. berraf

berraf Member

Great with another new member at the forum. Welcome :)

There seems to be plenty of room in your locos for quite big N-scale decoders. Personally I use CT-electronic decoders and I found them reliable :D
    But, as said before, be sure there´s no shortcuts anywhere.
    But as long as you keep the smoke inside the decoder there´s no problem :thumb:
  6. YmeBP

YmeBP Member

I tired to find a page for the ct electronics decoder in english and turned up not much :), any links?

I've been haveing a great time w/ the digitrax dn163 in my ho gear. They are small and can handle 1.5amp continous and 2 amp peak.

7. Fluesheet

Fluesheet Member

Test the draw of these locomotives (called "stall current") - the manufacturers web sites commonly describe this in detail, and if you can't find it there, try [SIZE=-1]www.wiringfordcc.com and http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/nswmn/. The problem with the old motors is that they draw quite a bit of power, so you want to make sure you size the docoder properly.