DCC Decoders

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by lester perry, Oct 25, 2006.

1. lester perry

lester perry Active Member

I know there is a DCC forum and I posted this there also but thought more would see it here.
    I just bought an MRC sound decoder and I am not very happy with it. I can't get a smooth start and the sound will not synchronize with Loco (steam). I am considering a MRC brilliant decoder (steam again) will I have a lot of trouble with it? I have soundtraxx LC and tsunami and have no problems except dirt putting out headlights. Should I just write off MRC?
  2. wickman

wickman Member

Les I'm not familar with MRC but I have become familar with the soundtraxx tsunami and I know once I modified a few CV's there was a big differnce. Is there any CV's you can change to get better performance?:wave:
  3. pgandw

pgandw Active Member

All the reports I have read from MRs I respect are down on the MRC Brilliance decoders (although they are standard in Athearn/Roundhouse production with sound). They tend to have a higher defect rate than other manufacturers, and have limited capability to modify the rather generic sound.

But I don't have any personal experience to back this up.

Maybe someone with personal experience will speak up.
  4. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

If you can't find anyone here, Yahoo has some great DCC groups. I'm a member of the NCE one, because I plan to go with NCE, but the MRC one has 1000+ members if I remember right, someone there is very bound to know.
  5. lester perry

lester perry Active Member

I can't help you with the CV's on the tsumi. I had to return it to shop where I bought it and get some help. The guy programed the whole thing for me. I guess this is a good plug for LHS internet shops can't help here.