DCC decoders/older steam

oldtanker

I just got 2 steam engines, HO, an AHM Rivarossi drive 0-8-0 (used) and an IHC 4-6-2 (older NIB). I'm thinking that they should both have sound decoders installed. Anyone done this conversion and anything that I should know before I try it? I have not yet picked a decoder yet so suggestions there would help too.

I currently have the Bachmann EZ-Command DCC system but will be upgrading it to Digitrax in the near future.

Rick

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
The Soundtraxx generic steam (DSD101LC) might be good for the Pacific and the switcher, as it is available in light, medium and heavy steam... I would pick medium for the Pacific and maybe light or medium for the switcher. You can select a different whistle and bell for each so that they sound different on the layout.

The key to any decoder install in older locos is to ensure that the motor only receives power from the decoder. Often in older locos, the frame is used to carry electricity through one side of the circuit. You can isolate the motor by mounting it on a strip of electrical tape and securing it with a nylon screw. Then you can rewire the pickups to deliver the power to the decoder in the tender, adn back to the motor. You might want to consider upgrading the motors to can motors if they are older open frame types.

There have been a few discussions recently about this (and also converting brass engines). Try a search and see what comes up.

Andrew