DCC computer control

Joepomp

Dec 29, 2002
New Jersey How yous doing
Visit site
I am starting to design a computer control system using NEC Power house Pro, a PC, and a Basic Stamp u prossor. This is just the design phase not working a model yet.:D If any is intrested or has experience with DCC and coputer control, let me know.
Here is the high level Bolck diagram. I have completed the next level block digram, if onoy is intrested I will post it also.

Attachments

• block1.jpg
    block1.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 222

jkristia

Aug 1, 2002
Simi Valley, CA,
Visit site
I did think about it once, but realized that with only a few (3-4) hours a week for the hobby, I would rather spend the time actually building the layout. I do programming for a living, and has been doing it for 13 years now, and I have always considered my job my hobby, but after I got back into train 2 years ago, the interest shifted towards train, so now my job is programming, and my hobby is train (although I still enjoy programming very much).

Jesper

I recently bought a new PC for home use and now have a "spare" PC (Win98) that no one uses. At first I thought that I would like to interface the PC with my DCC system. (I started a layout about a year ago because DCC looked like FUN.)

I'm with Jasper. I've been a programmer or somehow involved with software development for 30 years and "it has it's moments". But I like MR because of the trains. The DCC aspect is just a better and more realistic way to run the trains. After thinking about "PC control" and doing a bit of research, I decided that I don't need or want a PC on the layout. I think that it would take too much time from developing, building and running my layout.

That being said, I think that PC control could be an interesting way to "run a railroad" if one has the time and interest.

I just like running the trains. I don't even use DCC for accessory control and don't plan to (Things can change though.)

The Atlas Forum has some folks interested in PC control.

Keep us posted on your progress. Who knows?
:) :)

rsn48

Feb 27, 2003
North Vancouver, BC, Canada
Visit site
I'm one of those at the Atlas Forum that is interested in PC control of trains. I was directed to Railroad & Co (do a goggle search for the company, the Yahoo groups is another entity that supports it - like Digitrax group, but Digitrax company has its own site) at Yahoo! Groups. You will find what you want there, BUT I find it a bit intimidating at first (only a bit computer literate). You can download the 230 page manual for free and read through it. I am just starting this reading now, so I can't comment as of yet.

Joepomp

Dec 29, 2002
New Jersey How yous doing
Visit site
Ok, I get your point

I Know what you mean, but I have two large concentric ovel main lines. They run into tunnels at the ends with hidden passing tracks. I want the main lines to be conputer controled so I can have up to 6 trains on these two loops. I don't think I could control this many trains with out crashing!

Freelancer

Oct 24, 2002
Utah
www.yardlimit.com
Well, this is kind of off the wall and won't help any, but I think that it would be cool. When you get your computer control to work, find some way, to connect your computer to a few web cams, and the internet, and allow users to operate your layout via the internet. Totally out of the blue, but I think it would be awsome!

Freelancer

scoobyloven

Jan 13, 2002
zeeland michigan
Visit site
well guys when it come to pc control i have it and it is up and running the hard thing is to find the program the one i have my dad found a year ago and he gave it to me i used a bus bolck and a pc decoder driver for i can re program decoders on the fly the hard thing is getting your layout into a a program that when you are runing the trains you can see where it is not just bye a little dot on the screen i have a program that shows me where all my rolling stock is at when it is not moving but when you power it up it turns into a dot on the program i will try to find the name of the program i am useing i know they are making a new verson of it with more things in it i also have a guide on it and how it is all hooked up i'll look for it and post it here