day light

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
I had one as a kid (20 years ago) it ran fine for a couple months then pop! the driver axle that had the gear on it snaped in half. Both my Dad and another fellow who knew these engines tried to fix it but it was unrepairable. Better off getting a newer engine, if anyone makes another SP daylight. Anyone know?

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Bachmann has offered the Gs-4 in Daylight and War Baby in the Spectrum line. I don't know if it is still available. If you get one and it doesn't pull very well, look closely at the springs on the lead and trailing trucks. On my Santa Fe 3781 4-8-4 Bachmann Plus model the springs were so stiff they actually lifted the drivers off the rails! Removing the springs and adding a little weight to the lead and trail trucks solved the problem.

ed acosta

Aug 4, 2005
Washington-British Columbia
Lionel Daylight

I have both the Lionel Daylight which is reworked to a GS-3 configuration and the Bachman Daylight GS-4 and both have been repainted, decaled and detailed. I understand that Bachman took over production of this model from Lionel, yet the Bachman (an early version) had the driver axle slip problem, and fortunately Bachman introduced their life time warranty at about that time. I removed the motorized chassis and mailed it to Bachman who mailed out a completely new locomotive and tender. Years later the Lionel and the Bachman have proven to be quite reliable.
-Ed

ed acosta

Aug 4, 2005
Washington-British Columbia
Bowser does make a more reliable mechanism for the Lionel or Bachman Daylight, however the center drivers have no flange and the tread does not touch the rails. Wait a minute! Wouldn't that make the HO model look more like Lionel tinplate?
-Ed