Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by cgutzmer, Jul 26, 2006.

1. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

has anyone made a database to catalog all their Internet finds? Sounds kind of anal I admit but I have quite a collection made up now and when I want to start a new model I have a tough time picking something out. I am considering just making a simple access database of all my models that would include
    File name
    category (vehicles, military, animals, sci fi etc)
    sub category (planes, trains, starwars, star trek etc etc)
    sub sub category - if needed (birds, fish, soviet, German etc etc)
    number of pages
    creator/company/website (if i can find it on the model document or remember where I got it)

anything else you guys can think of that would be good to add? If anyone is interested in it, I will be happy to get it available somehow once its completed. Going on vacation to France from July 31 until Aug 28th so it wont be until after that :) Now if I just had that database done I could decide what models to take with me to do ;)
  2. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

It would probably take me years to database all the models I have downloaded over the last four years, I'm not boasting but I have downloaded somewhere in the neighborhood of 10,000 (ten thousand) free cardmodels.

I applaud your efforts, and if you find an efficient way to do the database, please let us in on it.

When I want to build a model, I pick a category (plane, ship, tank, robot etc.)
    and view that page on
    Civi has databased these all for us already...minus the models that are no more...
    My best to you!
  3. charliec

charliec Active Member

That's a bit of a no brainer - I do this stuff for money (if you can call $Aussie money). The smart way to do this stuff is dynamically build the category items preferrably via a Web interface. And - avoid Access like the plague - any of the other freeware databases is way superior to that M$ junk.

I guess I could knock up a quick prototype - perhaps adding the functionality to the Cardmodels code base would be a productive avenue to explore.

4. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

I have a folder on my desktop that is called "Card Models". Inside this folder is a folder for finished models, and then folders for each catagory of model that I have. This is how I sort my models. It works for me but maybe a database would make things easier. The hardest part of being a card modeler is deciding what to build next!
  5. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Here's my 5c:
    1. NASA/ESA
    2. Military Planes
    3. Civil Planes
    4. Sci Fi
    5. Buildings
    6. For Kids
    7. Ships
    8. Photos of My Models

Now, I've created a public bookmark for all in the forum to download, and have my internet findings as favorites for your browser. Give it a try.
    Here's what you do:
    1. Go to
    2. user name: cardmodels
    3. password: cardmodels
    4. Click on EXPORT (on the menu at the left)
    5. Follow the 7 steps there (don't worry is easy and safe)
    6. Start surfing

If members have interesting links that work, you can put them there too!
  6. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Also, if you don't want to download ALL these favorites, just keep them handy, and click them when you like.
  7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I agree, I dont like ms access much but its what I have :) I would be interested in seeing your suggestion put into action for the web interface :D Gonna check out those links too. I have a ton of links and will add mine if I see any missing :)
  8. charliec

charliec Active Member

I gave the idea some thought....

I think you're after effectively a personal database with (ideally) a Web interface. That is, runs, locally using the installed Web browser as an interface.
    This can be done by using one of a number of products which emulate a Web server locally. There's a reasonable freeware one using Ruby and SQLlite which looks interesting. The fast track development for me would be something that runs ASP or Javascript code since I build systems with this. Most of the stuff I do is user configurable Web-based database systems so your problem plays into my area of (some) knowledge.

I've got another week or so to go on a project before I'll get some time to come up with a prototype.

9. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I wont be back from vacatin for 4 weeks ;) no hurry and I am just puttering around with the idea Thanks though! and I am sure others might be interested too