Database program for Model equipment

seanm

I have looked at a few model railroad database programs. I have tested many of them and they all seem to have things lacking. Some are aimed at "collectors" and others don't have DCC. I don't mind spending some money and I am sure I COULD, given enough time, create one in MS Access... I just don't have the time to do that.

Here is what I am looking for:

Can catalog engines, rolling stock, structures and supplies
Road names and reporting marks and road numbers
Detailed DCC information
Photos (more then 1 if possible)
Repairs needed section
Pricing info optional
Reports should include...
By Road
by type
by category
Repairs needed
DCC data

Have any of you been using something like that and are happy with it? can you point me in the right direction?
By road

nolatron

Not sure if you have any web development experience, but you could always build a web based sql database. That's what I did for my collection.

http://www.upmodelrailroad.com/roster

I do also have a Database program on my macbook, it's a windows application that had a good bit of options available. Lemme see if I can find it online.

seanm

Why don't you use MS Access? That way, you can make it any way you want.

I could do that, but I really would rather build my layout, not an application. I have the ability as I am currently working as MS Office Product Manager for a major west coast utility. I just know it would take me a while and there are model railroad things I would prefer to do:thumb:.

MCL_RDG

I believe in the...

...if it ain't on the RR it's because it did something it shouldn't have. A computer listing of things like "repairs needed"? It's a "hobby" not a job- just doing the data input is too way outta control (for me), micro-managing fun to the degree of being very something...Now if it were my daily job to run a model RR, my model RR, I'd be checking the time cards of the little plastic people because obviously someone's been dragging their feet.
sign1

A high tech post-it note on a car with a coupler malfuntion would tell me- what's up with that!

It's that or you're left to your own devices.

Mark

Dave1905

I have built a couple of them in MS Access and they are available for download from the CarCards or Rwy-ops-industrial Yahoo Groups files section. They are intended to generate car cards and waybills for operations, but intentory your stuff too.

Dave H.

seanm

Mark, Let me 'splain... I am still in the planning stages for my most recent layout in a new home. I have quit bit of equipment, but it is mosly still in boxes. Like all modelers, I am always in "aquiring" mode as well. I can not tell you the number of times I had to go out and dig through some boxes to see if I had that same road number engine already. I have even purchased duplicate items because I was SURE I didn't have that item. (see my adds in For Sale). I figured one way to eliminate that until it is all on the layout again is to go through my stuff and entere it into a nice database. It would have other side benifits as well....should I leave this world, my wife would know what I have and the possible value (not be brring anyone down). Also, I always forget what decoders are in what engines. Wouldn't it be nice to know what ones are where?? It can also be the bases for car car operations. I can think of lots of uses and I am not trying to make work. It would be even MORE work to develope the database myself. Entry is easy and it also reminds me of all the items I have.Hope that makes it clear... Thanks!