Darwinism

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
What do you call a guy with his hands over his ears, stomping along an Iraqi road?

A Darwinian mine detector...:cool:

Besides, what have you got against skunks?

MadModeler

May 20, 2006
What do you call a guy with his hands over his ears, stomping along an Iraqi road?

A Darwinian mine detector...:cool:

Besides, what have you got against skunks?

Good one!:rofl:

As for skunks, nothing against them. They are cute little stinkers.
After my dog got sprayed by one, she learned really quick to leave those striped kitties alone. Maybe the experience may just jump start a couple of brain cells in the idiot and prevent further stupidity.:mrgreen:
Ideally, the skunk would not get hurt.
Of course, that's probably wishful thinking.:rolleyes:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Just to show that this isn't limited to those taking risks around trains, a day or so ago we had someone that wanted his friends to film him going through an intersection at 90 mph and becoming airborne in the process. He wanted the film to put on YouTube. Well, his friends were to scared to follow him, and when he hit the intersection he lost control and flipped. He may not make it to find out they never got the pictures. the whole story is right here if you care to read it.

I guess that goes hand in hand with the group that beat up that girl or the one that hit another girl on the head with a chair, or those that didn't make it, trying some Jackass stunt, all in the name of posting something different on YouTube.

What the heck kind of messages are we sending to anyone that makes them think this stuff is acceptable?

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
He may not have gotten his video on YouTube but he did get a couple pictures of his car in the paper!

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
He may not have gotten his video on YouTube but he did get a couple pictures of his car in the paper!
Yeah, and he may also get his picture in the church bulletin. I guess things don't change much, 100 years ago they were tipping over outhouses and jumping off roofs to get attention and recognition. I guess if there was a YouTube and cell phone cameras back then, the whole world would know what they did. And someone would get a smack on the side of the head or a paddle to the rump for doing it too.

dwdean

Jan 24, 2008
How stupid can you get

You know, that's got to be the stupidest thing that I've ever seen anyone do, and I'm seen a couple of real whoppers.

A recent accident on the CSX track here made that even harder to watch (a kid and his dad were walking up the ROW and the kid was struck and killed by a passenger train, the story is here.)

I guess this all just serves as a reminder that there really is a need for things like "Train Awareness Week" and "Operation Lifesaver".

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Got to agree with that Gump guy and Ron White as well. Is it the thrill or just plain being stupid?

Yesterday here in the Phoenix area, we had a teen-age girl and her sister decide to go around a gate to beat a train. About 75% of their car made it through OK.... but how do you drive a car without the rear 25%? I guess one of them is already out of the hospital, the driver will get out eventually too. A hard lesson, but you wonder if they really learned anything or is some slick lawyer going to blame the railroad for not protecting the crossing better? Or in the case of the kid in Florida being hit. They were trespassing that's for sure, but again, some slick lawyer is going to say that the engineer didn't sound the horn to warn them he was coming. If you read that story closely, you can see where they are evading blame on the kid or his father and basically trying to put the blame on the railroad.

Chaparral

Feb 5, 2007
Calgary Alberta
That is their hobby

Judging from the TV 'hit show' lineup,there's a huge supply of hobbyists of voyeurism, torture, debauchery and degradation. Their appetite is insatiable, clearly evidenced by the mindless cloning of filth and corrpution nose pickings splashed on 60 inch plasmas. Even the Food Network has a language and violence warning - FOOD preparation is violent and obscene!!

I write the sponsors of such crap.
Nothing's changed, but I've done my part.

Judging from the TV 'hit show' lineup,there's a huge supply of hobbyists of voyeurism, torture, debauchery
I write the sponsors of such crap.
Nothing's changed, but I've done my part.

Of course nothings changed! If you write to the sponsors they know people are watching their adverts, money well spent.
But if you write to the papers, radio stations, be polite & KIS that you & and a few of your friends no longer watch such a station/program etc, the advertising people start to listen!
no people watching -why advertise- tv station changes program to something featuring human beings, win situation.
Tony

I guess this all just serves as a reminder that there really is a need for things like "Train Awareness Week" and "Operation Lifesaver".

Bull! these same people know not to walk along the road in traffic!
wheres Common sense?
trains do not veer left or right, they stay on two rails of steel. What is so hard for people for people to undestand that if you don't want to be attacked by the great ferric iron predator you stay out of its lair!
same as people do to avoid Lion, tiger, shark, crocodile attacks

iis612

Dec 26, 2006
Chicago Burbs
My career in train service with CSX was short lived due to stupidity like this. There is not a single day that goes by, even 14 years later, that I don't think of the eyes looking at me.

iis612

Dec 26, 2006
Chicago Burbs
Bull! these same people know not to walk along the road in traffic!
wheres Common sense?
trains do not veer left or right, they stay on two rails of steel. What is so hard for people for people to undestand that if you don't want to be attacked by the great ferric iron predator you stay out of its lair!
same as people do to avoid Lion, tiger, shark, crocodile attacks

Did you know that "Operation Lifesaver" used to pass out surveys to people, and they found an overwhelming number of people who think tha tthe trains do stop on a dime, or have steering. I remember giving a tour of the loco to a family while we were sitting in a siding waiting our highball. They wanted to know "How do you steer this thing? Where is the gas pedal?" People, for the most part, can not comprehend Momentum or Inertia, let alone tractive effort or comprehensive drag rates for stopping a single locomotive, let alone an entire coal drag.

Matt

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
I was so reluctant to post this thread, afraid that it would be seen as glorifying the antics of one very foolish child. I can see now that it is better to voice our opinions, to let people see that there are idiots out there who are willing to take incredible risks for what?...a few seconds of video footage?

My first thought when I saw it was, "That poor Engineer." Whether the kid lived or died didn't even come into play, but that experience will live in the heart and mind of the engineer forever, as iis612 has testified.

Here's a thought, if this person manages to survive and procreate, what will he tell his teenage son when he has seen what his father did years before? Will he look his son in the eye and say "Do not do as I did.", or will he say,"Go for it dude!"