Danscrew's Colonial one

Danscrew

Danscrew
IMG_3608.JPG IMG_3604.JPG IMG_3605.JPG IMG_3606.JPG
I guys,
I'm back again and started a new build. The BSG Colonial one. Like my other build, i love to do more than cut, mark and glue the parts. I love to add some détails and lights and this model will be challenging. I try to reproduce my construction like the pictures we found on the net.

I started with the head. The first build was terrrible due to the cut I have to do for the windows and preparation I have to do to prevent the light from passing in the through the paper. I scraped it. The second attempt was not bad but I was not satisfied. The third was better but I'm not sure.

I decided to steep this piece aside and do the fins and the back engines.

Soon, I will start the ring (this one will be cool with the lights) and the hull.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
It looks like you are off to a really good start!
I am looking forward to seeing how this project will turn out.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
FINALLY - ANOTHER MASTERPIECE IN THE WORKS!!!!

:):) :):):) :):):)

Assembling the curved parts of the head in this high quality is simply breath-taking! Even at this early stage your build looks much better than mine!!! (My head is slightly warped...)

Some words of caution: Inserting the head into the main body is a bit tricky. You may need to widen the front piece of the neck a bit to make the gap large enough to accept the head.

Are you using greaseproof paper for the windows?
What about the engines? Will they be glowing as well?

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Oh I like this model so much. I just love this ship! Great start! :)

Danscrew

Danscrew
FINALLY - ANOTHER MASTERPIECE IN THE WORKS!!!!

:):) :):):) :):):)

Assembling the curved parts of the head in this high quality is simply breath-taking! Even at this early stage your build looks much better than mine!!! (My head is slightly warped...)

Some words of caution: Inserting the head into the main body is a bit tricky. You may need to widen the front piece of the neck a bit to make the gap large enough to accept the head.

Are you using greaseproof paper for the windows?
What about the engines? Will they be glowing as well?

Thank's for the tip R-F.

All the engines will be glowing and the ring engines will be also glowing. For those one I will post some ''How I make'' pictures to show the bulding step. So stay around I will post someting soon.

Attachments

• IMG_0595.JPG
    IMG_0595.JPG
    227.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0596.JPG
    IMG_0596.JPG
    199.8 KB · Views: 63

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
YAY! Thank you for making this fine model even better! You have glued me to this thread, ya know..! ;-)

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
I like how you used the screen for added detail. The effect is PERFECT!!!

Danscrew

Danscrew
I almost competed the engine. The next stage is the improvement and the détails.

Some tips : I put some black electric tape Inside the piece where the light glow. It avoids seeing the light somewhere else that the place we want to see her.

Attachments

• IMG_0606.JPG
    IMG_0606.JPG
    212.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0607.JPG
    IMG_0607.JPG
    217.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0608.JPG
    IMG_0608.JPG
    202.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0609.JPG
    IMG_0609.JPG
    224.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0610.JPG
    IMG_0610.JPG
    235.5 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
GREAT TIP on using the black electrical type inside the component for the light.

Danscrew

Danscrew
Some computer problem......I'm back !

I completed 2/3 of the ring engine.

For enhancement I printed the pieces several times on high quality paper. Before sticking thenew parts, I sanded the harshness to have the softest possible forms. I take an other set to make the détails. In summary, I print four or five times the parts.

Attachments

• IMG_0611.JPG
    IMG_0611.JPG
    249.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0612.JPG
    IMG_0612.JPG
    274.6 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0613.JPG
    IMG_0613.JPG
    234 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0616.JPG
    IMG_0616.JPG
    250.6 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That ring was kind of a b***h to me, too :p! I had to print it twice before it was safe in place.

BTW, you may need to adapt the lower and upper hull assembly. The mesh was really stubborn when it came to chopping the parts into sections. I think it would be easier to cut off the pieces forming the skeleton, attaching them to the flat base(s) and then wrapping the upper (lower) hull skin around. You may need to cut the skeleton pieces a tad smaller to make them fit. (This was the first internal skeleton I developed, so please accept my apology if anything is a bit too big :eek:ops::):rolleyes:!)

I may get back to the kit and revise it someday... :)

Danscrew

Danscrew
That ring was kind of a b***h to me, too :p! I had to print it twice before it was safe in place.

BTW, you may need to adapt the lower and upper hull assembly. The mesh was really stubborn when it came to chopping the parts into sections. I think it would be easier to cut off the pieces forming the skeleton, attaching them to the flat base(s) and then wrapping the upper (lower) hull skin around. You may need to cut the skeleton pieces a tad smaller to make them fit. (This was the first internal skeleton I developed, so please accept my apology if anything is a bit too big :eek:ops::):rolleyes:!)

I may get back to the kit and revise it someday... :)

Thank's RF for the tips

I already assembled the lower hull and this is how I do

First, I cut and assembled the pieces 17-18-19. I cut a piece of form core board and glued with stick glue on the skeleton. I make sure that the tabs goes up to glue the body parts. That help me getting a solid and plane surface. It is easier to stick the hull segments.

After that, I glued the hull segments 20 to 25 starting with the part 20.

I didn't put the inner skeleton cause the piece are to high. So I've made them with form core.

I think you did a great job with the mesh. The are ok. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0617.JPG
    IMG_0617.JPG
    219.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0620.JPG
    IMG_0620.JPG
    207.9 KB · Views: 47