Daishi Mecha

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by rockpaperscissor, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Presented here for your viewing pleasure is my first mecha build. It is the Daishi mecha, downloaded from http://my.dreamwiz.com/papermech. I don't know anything about the whole mecha "thing", I just stumbled across this one while surfing, thought it looked cool, and decided to take a crack at building it. I printed out the 32 piece kit on 100# cardstock using my antique Aptiva desktop and Lexmark Z52 inket printer. The build was very enjoyable - straightforward with no fit or design issues. I think I may have glued on the ankle joints backwards, but this would only be obvious to a mecha enthusiast. I really liked the multi pose possibilities that this kit presented, and assembled the big guy in mid stride with his left foot forward, turned slightly to the left and with his left arm extended. I thought this would be more interesting that just having him standing there like a lump. What do you think?

After I got him all built, I like him so much I decided to design and build a nice display base to show him off on. I went with a simple paving stone pattern for the surface and, in keeping with the "heavy metal" theme, I wanted a riveted panel look for the sidewall. I estimated that a six inch x two inch base would be about right, and I bounced back and forth between MS paint and Photoshop until I had the look I wanted.

I glued the top to heavy matte board, and cut out a second piece the same size for the bottom. I made inside supports of thin corrugated cardboard. I handled the three sidewall pieces by butt joining them while laminating them at the same time to a backing length of cardstock, allowing about a 1 inch offset to facilitate joining the ends together.

To give the base some weight, I epoxied pieces of gravel to each quadrant.

Starting at one of the upright supports, I began gluing the sidewall around the base, a quarter of the way at a time. The completed base.

I even added some felt feet!

Completed piece. There is a bit of room at the front where I could add something. I assume these things do battle with each other, so I'm thinking of adding a battle damaged arm from a different mecha. Or, I could just add some generic rubble. I'd love to hear any ideas from you mecha guys.

Keep your razor sharp,

2. rwguess

rwguess Member

nice build thanks for the post

3. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

Great build! Love that base, it really adds to the model. I think it looks fine just as it is but I think it would be great to add some rubble or the broken arm of another mech just so you would have an excuse to post another pic! :grin:
    Great job and keep em coming!
  4. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Great built! And you are saying you are not a "mecha guy"?? I can just imagine what if you were!!
    Great idea on the display base!
  5. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

Great looking model, made extra special by an original base... Nice photos showing it off.
  6. Thanks for the kind words fellas. The more I look at the finished piece, the more I'm convincing myself that it needs something in the foreground. I'm leaning towards a blown off and battle damaged mecha arm. That will sort of tell a story I think. As much as I would like to use only paper, I'm picturing wires and hoses etc. coming out of the arm. Hard to pull off (for me) with just paper, so my apologies to the purists. Maybe the arm'll be hanging off the base a bit. Hmmm, my creative juices are starting to flow...
  7. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

Give it a month and it will be a full battle scene the size of a couple of fold up tables :twisted:
    Can't wait for the pics!
  8. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

You could build a service bay display like in a dropship or ground support area.