Dads old layout

aartwmich

Built in 1950....hasn't really been worked on since 1970's..recently set back up just last week, needs lots of work and to be protected from dust.

Attachments

• overall.jpg
    overall.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 209
Wow Aartwmich, a ready made layout! Now that doesn't happen every day!:eek:

It's an interesting trackplan too. I see your dad had taste when he built it... steamers and cabooses !!:) :)

Is it your's now? ... will you modify it or settle on detail and (OMG) tree making?? :D :D

Errol

Drew1125

That's wonderful to have a little piece of history like that!
If I were you, I wouldn't change one little thing!

When I was a kid, my dad set up a 3-rail Marx set in the attic for us to play with...I'm sure it was pretty crude as far as "model"RR standards go...just some track nailed to plywood...But to my six year old eyes, & imagination, it was a true thing of beauty!
I still have those old trains, but that board & track are long gone. :(

aartwmich

It IS mine now, I 've had it since dad died 6 years ago, he built the whole thing(how did Kettlestack know that?)...I almost gave it away not long ago..but sentiment prevented me from letting it go.

Umm Kettlestack...what the heck are 'OMG trees'??? LOL

jkristia

Just like Charlie suggest, I wouldn't change any thing at all. If you have the space for it, keep it exactly as it is as a memory of your dad, and then do your modeling on a seperate layout.

Jesper

shamus

Registered Member
Ooh yes, that takes me back, just a little to the days I had one almost like that. Glad you kept it. Looks real nice.
Shamus
wink.gif

I'm chuckling here Aartwmich, I was thinking of some trees you might want to make to "fill out" the scenery.

Hehehe, one can never seem to have enough trees and they could be tedious to make... hence OMG = Oh My Goodness "I need how many trees?"!:eek: :) :D :D .

You're way ahead of some of us in that you have an operational layout. That just has to be a great thing. Have fun my friend.

Errol

aartwmich

OMG....THOSE trees...oh yeah I could use some trees..and some new grass...and resurface the roads..and some shrubs...etc etc etc. Actually Dad made quite a few trees, with sticks and lichen but they are a hideous bright green color and the lichen is sooo dry it's crumbling.

I don't have room for ANOTHER layout, I will keep the layout the same as far as track and such but I will repair and enhance what is already there by adding some landscaping and cleaning the engines so they work better..or at all. I think I will do what he would have done to make it better and more realistic.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Don't change it.
I recoginize the barn. The one that says"Mail Pouch Tabacco on the roof.I had one on my first HO layout. I think it was an AHM kit if memories serve me correct.

McFortner

Is this close?

I really like the look of this layout, so I tried to make a plan of it from looking at the one picture. I posted it here on the layout board. So did I come close? :confused:

Michael

edited to correct link

aartwmich

Well your link brought me back to this thread...but I found your post on the layout forum and posted a drawing of the layout, you missed a few things that were hard to see in that photo.

McFortner

Originally posted by aartwmich
Well your link brought me back to this thread...
Thanks for pointing that out. I have it corrected now.
but I found your post on the layout forum and posted a drawing of the layout, you missed a few things that were hard to see in that photo.
Thanks for the corrected layout. I think I did pretty good with only one picture. But the real thing is even better than thought. I can't wait to get the supplies to build it! :D

Michael