D&RGW Short Caboose HOn3

Vic

This one's scratched from Evergreen styrene. Grandt Line trucks and ThinFilm Decals, Kadee N scale couplers. I put very little detail on the underbody of cars as all of my rolling stock are "runners" and the underbody detail is just too fragile to handle. Not my best effort....the trucks are worng and the whole thing is 6 scale inches too wide.....What's the rule...."measure once...cut twice:eek: :D

Attachments

• 0577b.jpg
    0577b.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 133

roryglasgow

Gee, Vic, I was going to say that it looked like it might be around 6 inches too wide. :):):) Seriously, though, I think it looks great! One of these days I'm going to work up enough courage to try scratch-building a car. The closest I've come is bashing an N-scale Bachmann stock car into a flat car. Basically, all I did was add scale boards to the top of the chassis... Below is a (very) blurry photo of it carrying The Box on my old layout.

And why exactly do they bother putting so much detail on the bottoms of rolling stock, anyway? I mean, the only time that I see the grain of the boards on the bottom side of the floor is when I pick the car up and actually look under the thing...and even then I usually see MADE IN CHINA stamped prototypically on it...

Say, real boxcars don't have MADE IN CHINA stamped on them, do they? Has anyone ever thought to look? :)

Attachments

• thebox.jpg
    thebox.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 118
Nice caboose.

Regarding underbody detail --- I follow the If-It-Doesn't-Show-Don't-Bother-With-It school of modeling. I haven't enough time to build all the cars and locos I want anyway, so can't see spending time on something that will never be seen.

Of course if I entered contests, I suppose I would. But I've never had a model in a contest, in 50 years in the hobby. I model for my own satisfaction, not to compete with anyone else.

I'm really looking forward to the future of this forum. It was a great idea.

Bill

Thats a great model Vic.

Wrong trucks? ... Hell, who cares, IT WORKS! ... right?
The handrails look real dinky too. Can I borrow your microscope if I make a start on an N car?

Geee, I can't even fit decals properly on N models let alone scratch build rolling stock.

Errol