Cylon helmet Ceta builders required...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BazookaJo

Apr 2, 2006
UK
www.bazookajo.me.uk
ekuth said:
True, but unfortunately the helmet is too small, or my head is too big to put the eyeholes there... LOL.

I modified the eye parts Bazookajo sent us to fit what I had done- it leaves a small opening for vision. With the helmet on and the electronics going, you can barely see the person's eyes. I'm pretty happy with it.

It's a tight fit, though- if I were to do it again, I'd probably scale the model up by about 10 to 20%.

I also found it necessary to add another row on the bottom of the mouthpiece grille- it didn't quite reach the bottom edge of the helm.

Admittedly, my version is heavily modified due to the addition of the electronics, but I have to take my hat off to Bazookajo.

This model is VERY well designed and fairly easy to build, given the amount of compound curves it has.

Kudos!

Now get to work on the neck and shoulder piece, will you? :-D

Seriously. I'd love to see this evolve into a full suit.

I think that wearing the helmet under studio direction and wearing 'for real' warrants slightly more visibility than the micro dots would allow :-D . You could always get the lens from one of those cheap wraparound sunglasses and glue that on the inside.

As for the mouth grille - is it supposed to reach the bottom of the helmet? I Checked out WGFE and it looks like it stops short by about 1 band:
http://www.wegottafindearth.com/head.htm

As for the coloured filter I'm sure you can get coloured transparent paper from some craft shop or other but I like Red's transparency idea.

I've also seen it done with some transparent tubing (imagine a clear rubber straw). Cut a slice along the back of the tube and curve over the LEDs - it looked pretty good if I recall.

Anyway, the next picture we want to see is you wearing it Ekuth :grin:

And I reckon the neck and shoulder peices should be a doddle after the helmet :razz: - I hope I can call on your assistance when I've got a Ceta to build.

Best regards

Paul.

Red

May 1, 2007
usa
weld

Well I have got a little more welding to do, and I still need to make the back of the helmet.8)
I just made and tacked in the mouth pieces today.8)
And I thought Id show how it looks so far.

E

ekuth

:shock: :yep: :yep:

FRAKKING AWESOME!

Now that's dedication. Can't wait to see it finished!~

Red

May 1, 2007
usa
weld

I’m not sure :? if I should make the back of the helmet with black window mesh or aluminum plate and then paint it.8) or make it so I can swap it out.

BazookaJo

Apr 2, 2006
UK
www.bazookajo.me.uk
ekuth said:
:shock: :yep: :yep:

FRAKKING AWESOME!

Now that's dedication. Can't wait to see it finished!~

Here here! This looks like it is going to be something very special :)

Just finishing off the kit myself. Just a minor mod to the face place to bring it a little straighter and more in line with Ekuth's awsome chaser. BTW Ekuth - do you still intend to do a tutorial for us electronics virgins? :roll:

Keep up the great work.

Regards

Paul.

P.S. How did everyone get on with the eye socket?

E

ekuth

BazookaJo said:
BTW Ekuth - do you still intend to do a tutorial for us electronics virgins? :roll:

P.S. How did everyone get on with the eye socket?

I do, but life hasn't allowed me much hobby time lately... I'll try to knock it together this weekend.

Eye socket worked fine for me, but then I was doing heavy modification, so I'm probably not the best qualified for feedback... :eek:ops:

Red

May 1, 2007
usa
Well so far all I have shown is the front and side of the helmet so here is the back, bottom, side with a little sandingand the start of the back plates.

BazookaJo

Apr 2, 2006
UK
www.bazookajo.me.uk
Red said:
Well so far all I have shown is the front and side of the helmet so here is the back, bottom, side with a little sandingand the start of the back plates.

Coming together VERY nicely Red + I see you have the picture of the Bad Boy Concept Cylon on your workspace to give you extra inspiration :grin:

Regards

Paul.

57townsman

Jan 21, 2004
Cypress, CA
If you go with a plastic diffuser you could scuff it up lengthwise to diffuse the light and blend the individual LEDs together.

Ekuth, can you reveal more details about your circuit? Will you be making it available? I built a variable speed 16 LED back and forth flasher about 20 years ago. I could modify that if need be.

Thanks guys, Stupendous work!

SteveK

Red

May 1, 2007
usa
yes i would like to have a copy of your circuit diagram for when i complete the metal build.8)
did you build this with transistor or solid state?
Just a little more sanding to do.:twisted:
This has turnd out to be more work then it sounds.:shock:

Red

May 1, 2007
usa
Ready to buff

Well it looks like all the sanding is done and ready to polish.:-D
There are a few spots that I couldn't get to so I will have to live with them.:(
This will be my first time at polishing Aluminum so cross fingers and hope for the best.
The next thing this build will need is a display stand.:twisted:
And the Red Eye done with rectangle diodes like what was used in the TV episodes.

Red

May 1, 2007
usa
polished

Well it shows that I need to go back and do some additional sanding to get the finish that I want, but it will do for now.

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
Looks dang good.............. y'all remember the episode where the cylon was a quickdraw cowboy............. "red-eye" or something like that.

I don't know why but that last picture of the helmet reminded me of that episode.

Wierd........... I know.

john

BazookaJo

Apr 2, 2006
UK
www.bazookajo.me.uk
I do, but life hasn't allowed me much hobby time lately... I'll try to knock it together this weekend.

Eye socket worked fine for me, but then I was doing heavy modification, so I'm probably not the best qualified for feedback... :eek:ops:

Hi Ekuth :wave:

Any chance the walkthrough could be ready for Halloween?

Best regards

Paul:mrgreen:.

E

ekuth

I know, I'm tardy... and I haven't been around much lately.

To be honest, I have been waiting for the dust from the forum move to settle and the speed issue with the site to be corrected.

That, and I've been working some long hours and haven't had any time to devote to modelling. My poor Rodger Young is almost complete and staring forlornly at me from the top of my monitor...:cool:

I'll try to find some time to put it together in the next week or so.

BazookaJo

Apr 2, 2006
UK
www.bazookajo.me.uk
I know, I'm tardy... and I haven't been around much lately.

To be honest, I have been waiting for the dust from the forum move to settle and the speed issue with the site to be corrected.

That, and I've been working some long hours and haven't had any time to devote to modelling. My poor Rodger Young is almost complete and staring forlornly at me from the top of my monitor...:cool:

I'll try to find some time to put it together in the next week or so.

No rush Ekuth :)

Just wanted to you to know that there is an audience for it - it always helps me when I get a little 'jaded' with a project (heck, Marvin and the Cylon helmet would probably still not be finished if I hadn't told people about them).

Also it would be cool link to have alongside the helmet plans :cool:

Best regards

Paul.

Cool that TOS centurion, any chance that you do these guys wen you're done!
wwcLogoB.png

What would happen if a 'Chrome Toaster' got tired
of being treated like a second class Cylon?
It's an uprising, Centurion-style.
Go and have a look at the film!
We Were Centurions

DougMorency

Nov 20, 2007
Kemptville, On
I Started this build about the time i started on the Card model
but all the bends and cut i have to do by hand on my lunch brake at work so
it is going to take a long time to complete this cylon helment.

Could I get the pics of your Aluminum helmet, I would like to build the entire suit of armour out of Aliminum.

Also has Paul created the neck brace yet? I have not found it on his site.

Thanks
Doug Morency

Status
Not open for further replies.