Cylon helmet Ceta builders required...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BazookaJo

Nice Job!!!

Red said:
I like the beefer cylon picture here is the build with the gold mirror card plus my attempt at a eye and mouth for it.

Great work Red - you've done a great job on that build.

That was the hardest bit btw.

Have sent out plans and instructions to you beta guys for the mouth peice and some formers for the helmet (though yours ain't looking too shabby Red).

Just the eye-peice to finish and we're in business. Still have a bit to do on this - changed the shape of the front of the helmet, so I had to start the whole eye-peice from scratch, eyeball engineering all the way :(

But we will get there.

Anyway, keep up the great work.

Best regards

Paul.

Red

Aluminum Bild

I Started this build about the time i started on the Card model
but all the bends and cut i have to do by hand on my lunch brake at work so
it is going to take a long time to complete this cylon helment.

BazookaJo

Red said:
I Started this build about the time i started on the Card model
but all the bends and cut i have to do by hand on my lunch brake at work so
it is going to take a long time to complete this cylon helment.

:-o That's mightily impressive sir!

Can't wait to see it finished.

Congrats on another great job in progress.

Regards

Paul.

Red

space ship

Does any one here know if there is a card model of the 1953 war of the worlds martian space ship I woul like to get this.

BazookaJo

allhallowseve said:
When do you plan on releaseing it ???? hopeful soon

Just waiting for the thumbs up from a few beta builders and I'll put it out there, but they haven't got the plans or instructions for the eye-socket
yet (still working on the this ATM).

Been slightly waylaid by other projects, but maybe in the next couple of weeks we'll be ready to go - You need to hassle those beta builders (then they need to hassle me :grin:).

Regards

Paul.

BazookaJo

Red said:
Does any one here know if there is a card model of the 1953 war of the worlds martian space ship I woul like to get this.

Have you designed a paper model before?

If it doesn't Red and you've not designed a paper model before you should definately have a go - it would be a great first model :twisted:

Red

no I have not ever designed any paper models ,but wouldnt mind doing that
I dont have any designing softwere that would help me make this,
and my budget wont alow the purchas of any software at this time.
Red

BazookaJo

Red said:
no I have not ever designed any paper models ,but wouldnt mind doing that
I dont have any designing softwere that would help me make this,
and my budget wont alow the purchas of any software at this time.
Red

There's a couple of free 3D software programs out there (Metaseqioa or something I think one of them's called) - there's a few guys quite handy with it on this forum I believe so you should be able to get some help.

So build the model in 3D. This may take a while if you've never done any 3D before, but it is rewarding. If you do it right it will just need pushing through Pepakura, and there's a few folks on here will be happy to help.

Like I say - you can build it in 3D for free - worry about the rest later :wink:

Regards

Paul.

Red

Aluminum Build

Well I have not progressed too far, the eye piece is a tough piece to make
but I think I am on the right track
here is what I have so far out of 1/8" plat aluminum.

BazookaJo

Red said:
Well I have not progressed too far, the eye piece is a tough piece to make
but I think I am on the right track
here is what I have so far.

The eye socket is indeed a tricky peice, but I'm getting there - might have mine done some time next week, so you should be able to finish the card version soon :-D

Yours is looking pretty good though - I'm really interested to see how this aluminium version turns out. After all, there can't be many metal Cylon helmets out there :)

Regards

Paul.

E

ekuth

Getting ready to tear into my copy of the Beta build...

I found some BEAUTIFUL gold mirror card at Michaels crafts (not sure if it's the same as one of the previous posters noted) for $4.75 a sheet. The sheets are large, 19.5 inches x 26 inches, so I was able to get four 8.5 x 11" sheets out of each one. Figure $1.25 (rounding up for tax) isnt too bad. Needed two sheets, so that's about $10.00 with the tax.

I also found some 8.5 x 11 cardstock there that is actual metallic gunmetal for the grillwork. It took ink fine when set on best quality. .50 cents a sheet, so total cost thus far for the card is $10.50!

Got it all printed out and ready to cut!

I'll post pics as I go along. :-D

Red

Roger Young Beta Version

I saw sume of the thread on the Roger young it looks good, wouldnt mind building that my self.
Did you get a chance to finish the Large BSG that you worked on lighting up?
would like to see sume more picturs of that to.

BazookaJo

ekuth said:
Getting ready to tear into my copy of the Beta build...

I found some BEAUTIFUL gold mirror card at Michaels crafts (not sure if it's the same as one of the previous posters noted) for $4.75 a sheet. The sheets are large, 19.5 inches x 26 inches, so I was able to get four 8.5 x 11" sheets out of each one. Figure $1.25 (rounding up for tax) isnt too bad. Needed two sheets, so that's about $10.00 with the tax.

I also found some 8.5 x 11 cardstock there that is actual metallic gunmetal for the grillwork. It took ink fine when set on best quality. .50 cents a sheet, so total cost thus far for the card is $10.50!

Got it all printed out and ready to cut!

I'll post pics as I go along. :-D

Nice one Ekuth - finally someone's got a good source for the card stateside. Gunmetal was tricky to find over here, so it's great you found some of that too.

Look forward to seeing your pics as you progress - maybe we'll see a future avatar with you in the helmet :grin:

Still working on the eye socket when I can be bothered (it's just sooo boring and there's so much other stuff I want to do :( ) Still, I force myself to do a little now and then, plus I've got a couple of days bank holiday, so who knows - this could be the week.

Regards

Paul.

E

ekuth

Start of the build...

Finally got started cutting out and assembling... here are some pics of a few hours worth of work:

View attachment 11728

View attachment 11729

I've been using CA (superglue) for the assembly process and it's working rather well. Have to be careful not to become part of the model though! :twisted:

BazookaJo

ekuth said:
Finally got started cutting out and assembling... here are some pics of a few hours worth of work:

View attachment 11728

View attachment 11729

I've been using CA (superglue) for the assembly process and it's working rather well. Have to be careful not to become part of the model though! :twisted:

Nice! So far so good :D

Super glue - I like it!

Wood glue was a REAL pain in the A, but it had 1 benefit for sloppy builders like me ... it could be wiped off the mirror surface with a wet cloth even after some hours drying.

I reckon it's one or the other, as anything like UHU etc. is a complete non-starter with this model :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.