Status
Not open for further replies.

BazookaJo

Apr 2, 2006
UK
www.bazookajo.me.uk
Almost finished my Cylon Helmet build:

http://www.cardmodels.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6291

Just wonder if there are any takers for a Ceta build?

You'll need 7 sheets silver (or gold) mirror card for the main helmet.
1 sheet of gloss black or gun metal gray for the side panels
1 sheet of Gun Metal mirror card for the mouth
1 sheet of gloss black or matt black card for the eye socket
1 sheet of plain white card for the formers

It seems however that mirror card doesn't exist in the US so I was wondering if it might be worth shipping over some mirror card for you folks.

Cheapest stuff I can find is £1.50 for 8 sheets from my local Boyes store. It's slightly lighter stock than I used for my Betas, but should be fine.

I could try get some Gun metal mirror card too (though this is about £1 a sheet) but maybe someone can find a better alternative - the Gun Metal Mirror Card is good (as close as I could find), but not perfect. Maybe some battlestar fans can find a better alternative, which would also be more accurate for the side panels (though I think the black panel version is more striking).

Anyway, let me know what you think.

Regards

Paul.

allhallowseve

Jul 13, 2005
i found posterboard in sliver at Michel's craft store for $5

it's a little thicker then cardstock paper but not buy much
i'd be a ceta builder but i 'am press for time that hole work thing an all :(

hopefuly it will be released soon :)

sneaker

Sep 23, 2006
Chandler, Arizona
Consider me on board. :) We have a couple of scrapbooking stores in the area, that deals with specialty papers. So I will be able to get the silver mirrored card, used it before but not for a papercraft model. Don't know if it is the same quality as what you have, but an alternative for me would be mylar backed with reg cardstock. (not so sure about the gold though, will have to investigate during my lunch). :twisted:

David

BazookaJo

Apr 2, 2006
UK
www.bazookajo.me.uk
doc_harvey said:
I REALLY want to be a ceta builder.....kinda worried about time though (I just started college)....but I certainly have an hour or so a day to work on it.....so count me in!

No problems - I still haven't finished the eye socket yet, and I'm seriously pushed for time ATM too, but I thought If I got some other folks involved it may shove me along a little bit.

So everyone who hasn't yet sent me their emails by PM please do so, and I'll email back the plans and instructions for the main helmet section (i.e. evrything but the mouth grill, eye socket and formers).

Best regards

Paul.

P.S. as for doing this with normal card, forget chrome or metallic spray paint - even the best stuff has little to zero reflective qualities.

You could use mirror chrome product$$$$$$ (ouch!)

Or the cheapest way to get a half decent result is to use Alclad II paint over gloss black, but you'll need an airbrush and quite a bit of practice to get decent results.

Either way it's a real pain in the @ss - I should know, still trying to get a decent finish on a styrene Cylon Helmet :sad:

Red

May 1, 2007
usa
How about doing it in 1/16 aluminum plate. weld the edges, then polish to a shine, I would need eye and mouth plansto put them in. the welder is to big to put them in after you build the rest of the helment.

BazookaJo

Apr 2, 2006
UK
www.bazookajo.me.uk
Red said:
How about doing it in 1/16 aluminum plate. weld the edges, then polish to a shine, I would need eye and mouth plansto put them in. the welder is to big to put them in after you build the rest of the helment.

Hi Red - Interesting idea.

Not sure if the aluminium would warp sufficiently to make for an easy build, but I'm no expert.

Either way I'd wait until the card version has been given the green light first (don't want you to put all that effort in and find out that I've made a mistake or two :eek:ops: ).

Best regards

Paul.

Red

May 1, 2007
usa
ceta build

Could not find card stock to go through the printer and could not find silver
so i traced the pattern to the back of a large sheet of gold mirror card and statted the build.
The glue that I ussed did not stick to the gold well so i removed the gold from the parts that were to be glued
the halment went together well I would say that it is ready to go on your web page.
Thank you
Bazookajo (Paul )
I am starting the aluminum build today it will take lounger to bend to shap of the pattern cut trim weld and so on.

BazookaJo

Apr 2, 2006
UK
www.bazookajo.me.uk
Red said:
Could not find card stock to go through the printer and could not find silver
so i traced the pattern to the back of a large sheet of gold card and statted the build.
The glue that I ussed did not stick to the gold well so i removed the gold from the parts that were to be glued
the halment went together well I would say that it is ready to go on your web page.
Thank you
Bazookajo (Paul )

Nice one Red - you'll have to post some pics (I might start a blog for folks to post their model pics and put a link on my page:twisted:)

Did you use gold mirror or standard gold card?

As for me, I've finished the mouth kit and instructions, so I'll get these off in the next day or so.

Major thanks and best regards

Paul.

BazookaJo

Apr 2, 2006
UK
www.bazookajo.me.uk
P.S. Regarding the card shortage - if you beta guys in the US are really struggling for silver mirror card I could always ship some over. I can get packs of 8 sheets for £1.50 (approx $3). It would probably be cheapest to ship them to one of you guys who would then have to distribute the packs stateside.

The only other option is to do as someone suggested and use normal card for the build before spraying it with something like Plastikote brilliant metallic silver - the finish will not match the mirror card (the Plastikote finish is more pewter), plus the base will want to be as smooth as silk (hence photo card). But the result might be passable:
http://qeester.zenzero.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1643

Just a few thoughts.

Stev0

Jan 30, 2006
Very nice work ... any consideration of creating the head of one of the newer models? They did say in the new series that "those models still have their purpose" in regards to the original cylons. =)

8393_1.jpg

and because we have new Cylons... well what has become of our original models?

cylon-797954.jpg

lol

BazookaJo

Apr 2, 2006
UK
www.bazookajo.me.uk
Stev0 said:
Very nice work ... any consideration of creating the head of one of the newer models? They did say in the new series that "those models still have their purpose" in regards to the original cylons. =)

and because we have new Cylons... well what has become of our original models?

lol

Nice one :grin:

Not a fan of the new cylons though (not the metal ones anyway :twisted:) - always thought they should look a little tougher:

newcylon-01.jpg

Red

May 1, 2007
usa
Cylon ceta build

I like the beefer cylon picture here is the build with the gold mirror card plus my attempt at a eye and mouth for it.

E

ekuth

WOW. I really need to tear myself away from the Roger Young and build my copy of the beta...

Time for a trip to Michaels Crafts...

Stev0

Jan 30, 2006
Keep this going ... it's great stuff. I'd love to see a complete figure along the lines of the T-800. Maybe 1:4.

By Your Command...

Status
Not open for further replies.