Cylon Centurion sword

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Revell-Fan, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Revell-Fan

Revell-Fan Co-Administrator Administrator

Hi guys!

Having ALMOST finished the instructions for Andrew Probert's Triangle Ship and waiting for the final puzzle piece to get everything released I am using the time to make a quick and dirty test-build of the Cylon sword.

The original design was made by @BazookaJo and @Red who kindly have given me permission to tinker with it (thank you, guys! thumbsup ). The first version was made in 2009 and features one of the most ingenious build strategies I have ever seen. The main parts are made of corrugated card and no matter which kind of card you use and no matter how thick the card is the parts will fit together without problems. In addition, the result should be very stable. Excellent and carefully thought-out ingeneering. Hats off.

The biggest problem of the design was that it was made before proper close-up shots of the original prop were available. So some pieces were shaped incorrectly (especially the hand guard). I corrected the shapes and revised the dimensions and proportions to come up with a faithful representation of the real thing. I will be keeping the original way of assembly because it can't get any better.

So far I have glued the core pieces to corrugated card and am waiting for the glue to cure. Red and BJ will certainly spot the changes I have made in the following picture.

Don't worry about the jagged lines, everything comes as vectors. Apparently the down-sizing of the picture has made it look that way.

Stay tuned, this is gonna be a fast run (I hope ;) ). :)
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  2. blake7

blake7 Member

Another project! Are you crazy! How do you keep them all strait in your head? Just kidding.:)Looks interesting.thumbsup Another thread of yours I will be watching.:wideyed:
    Cybergrinder and Revell-Fan like this.
  3. DanBKing

DanBKing Active Member

"I hope so too!" said the Viper Mk1, humbly ..............;)

In context of this thread: It's time to have a 'stab' at it........ :)

Well, he isn't straight in the head...... He can't be.........

He has been Anacondically squeezed, with a Cobra-headed passion, for a Adder sort of model, but, as usual, he forgot to reMamba the bloody VIPER!!!!! :biggrin:
  4. Revell-Fan

Don't worry, mates. This one is just a quickie to relax from work. We received a delivery with a lot of corrugated card. I saved it from the trash bin and am putting it to good use now.

Viper is not forgotten; just have to dig out my frakkin' graphic tablet again (really, I have put it in storage and do not remember where I have put it :headbange:!).

5. Revell-Fan

Please show me ONE person in the world that IS..! :D:D:D
  6. DanBKing

DanBKing Active Member

According to 'Google' .... :smoker:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
    Revell-Fan likes this.
  7. Cybergrinder

Cybergrinder Member Extraordinaire

@DanBKing ; "In context of this thread: It's time to have a 'stab' at it........ :)" What a cutting wit!

Looking forward to seeing this model thrust into the lime light! I shall try to sheath my puns now.

@DanBKing - We've done it again, haven't we? :lolsign:
    DanBKing likes this.
  8. DanBKing

DanBKing Active Member

Well, as they say: The longer it takes to get to the point, the blunter it becomes .......... :lolsign:

But as usual, we take things to the hilt .......... :)
  9. Cybergrinder

Now we're walking a knife edge until Zathros deletes all these puns.... (or should I say cuts them? ;))
    DanBKing likes this.
  10. DanBKing

DanBKing Active Member

Yep, correct you are.
    Best we sheath the puns.
    But, the pun is mightier than the sword.
    Zathros would then be like the director of the film 'Excalibur,' who was regularly heard to shout : "CUT!"
    Cybergrinder likes this.
  11. Cybergrinder

Or, if he were to sprint into the thread, he would become a new form of Blade Runner, a sharper character you cannot find....

Of course, with such a harrison, could he a-ford to stop? Or would he be flying Solo. I can't Han-dle it!!
  12. Revell-Fan

13. DanBKing

DanBKing Active Member

14. Cybergrinder

Only one response to that...

And I fal-con of my chair laughing...
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
    DanBKing likes this.
  15. zathros

zathros -----SENIOR---- Administrator

I landed a Piper I was flying really hard one day, my instructor commented, that landing really, Jar'd, Jar'd, my neck and Stinks.
    Cybergrinder likes this.
  16. DanBKing

DanBKing Active Member

"What's for dinner, Dad ?"

"Wookie Steak..."

"Is it any good ?"

"It's a little Chewy....."

Revell-Fan likes this.
  17. DanBKing

DanBKing Active Member

But, really guys, we need to get back on the topic of swords, which is really what this thread is about.

Now, I must resist, I must stop, No more ..... All the giggling is making my sides hurt.... It's a stabbing pain.....:biggrin:
  18. Revell-Fan

Alright guys, fear the PUN-ishment of the whip! :blueface::blueface::blueface:

19. Revell-Fan

Well then, let's get back to topic.

I found out that it is advisable to laminate some parts to 2 mm and some to 4 mm corrugated card. So it is ensured that the parts do not become too thick.

That solution made it possible to further decrease the number of the parts.

This is the handguard:

The parts are stacked to get this:

Then everything is covered with metallic card. I used some left-over sheets from Crichton.

As you might remember from Crichton, always wear gloves when working with coated card. Since I was unable to find some mid/late 1970s Cooper #28 "Armadillo Thumb" hockey gloves I used some nitril gloves. ;)

Handguard complete.

The heart of the sword:

Again all parts are laminated to thick cardboard.

A thinner layer of card is glued to the top and bottom side. The parts are separated at different locations so that they support themselves. This increases the strength of the construction. Next will be the handle, the pommel and the

mysteroid, ASC Mclaren and bgt01 like this.
  20. zathros

zathros -----SENIOR---- Administrator

In Spanish, "Vaca" means "cow", "v" is pronounced more like "b", so, "Chewbacca", sonically sounds like "Spanglish" for Cowmuncher". A useless factoid.
    Cybergrinder and Revell-Fan like this.