Cylon Centurion sword

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Hi guys!

Having ALMOST finished the instructions for Andrew Probert's Triangle Ship and waiting for the final puzzle piece to get everything released I am using the time to make a quick and dirty test-build of the Cylon sword.

The original design was made by @BazookaJo and @Red who kindly have given me permission to tinker with it (thank you, guys! thumbsup ). The first version was made in 2009 and features one of the most ingenious build strategies I have ever seen. The main parts are made of corrugated card and no matter which kind of card you use and no matter how thick the card is the parts will fit together without problems. In addition, the result should be very stable. Excellent and carefully thought-out ingeneering. Hats off.

The biggest problem of the design was that it was made before proper close-up shots of the original prop were available. So some pieces were shaped incorrectly (especially the hand guard). I corrected the shapes and revised the dimensions and proportions to come up with a faithful representation of the real thing. I will be keeping the original way of assembly because it can't get any better.

So far I have glued the core pieces to corrugated card and am waiting for the glue to cure. Red and BJ will certainly spot the changes I have made in the following picture.

DSCF0227.JPG

Don't worry about the jagged lines, everything comes as vectors. Apparently the down-sizing of the picture has made it look that way.

Stay tuned, this is gonna be a fast run (I hope ;) ). :)

Last edited:

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Feb 29, 2012
Netherlands
Stay tuned, this is gonna be a fast run (I hope ;) ). :)

"I hope so too!" said the Viper Mk1, humbly ..............;)

In context of this thread: It's time to have a 'stab' at it........ :)

Another project! Are you crazy! How do you keep them all strait in your head?

Well, he isn't straight in the head...... He can't be.........

He has been Anacondically squeezed, with a Cobra-headed passion, for a Adder sort of model, but, as usual, he forgot to reMamba the bloody VIPER!!!!! :biggrin:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
:lolsign:

Don't worry, mates. This one is just a quickie to relax from work. We received a delivery with a lot of corrugated card. I saved it from the trash bin and am putting it to good use now.

Viper is not forgotten; just have to dig out my frakkin' graphic tablet again (really, I have put it in storage and do not remember where I have put it :headbange:!).

:angelic:

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Feb 29, 2012
Netherlands
Well, as they say: The longer it takes to get to the point, the blunter it becomes .......... :lolsign:

But as usual, we take things to the hilt .......... :)

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Feb 29, 2012
Netherlands
Now we're walking a knife edge until Zathros deletes all these puns.... (or should I say cuts them? ;))

Yep, correct you are.
Best we sheath the puns.
But, the pun is mightier than the sword.
Zathros would then be like the director of the film 'Excalibur,' who was regularly heard to shout : "CUT!"

Reactions: Cybergrinder

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Jun 24, 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
Or, if he were to sprint into the thread, he would become a new form of Blade Runner, a sharper character you cannot find....

Of course, with such a harrison, could he a-ford to stop? Or would he be flying Solo. I can't Han-dle it!!

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I landed a Piper I was flying really hard one day, my instructor commented, that landing really, Jar'd, Jar'd, my neck and Stinks.
:mooner:

Reactions: Cybergrinder

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Feb 29, 2012
Netherlands
But, really guys, we need to get back on the topic of swords, which is really what this thread is about.

93705299egeih_sm.png

;):)

Now, I must resist, I must stop, No more ..... All the giggling is making my sides hurt.... It's a stabbing pain.....:biggrin:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Well then, let's get back to topic.

I found out that it is advisable to laminate some parts to 2 mm and some to 4 mm corrugated card. So it is ensured that the parts do not become too thick.

That solution made it possible to further decrease the number of the parts.

This is the handguard:

DSCF0232.jpg

The parts are stacked to get this:

DSCF0233.jpg

DSCF0236.jpg

Then everything is covered with metallic card. I used some left-over sheets from Crichton.

DSCF0240.jpg

DSCF0242.jpg

As you might remember from Crichton, always wear gloves when working with coated card. Since I was unable to find some mid/late 1970s Cooper #28 "Armadillo Thumb" hockey gloves I used some nitril gloves. ;)

DSCF0243.jpg

DSCF0245.jpg

DSCF0252a.JPG

Handguard complete.

The heart of the sword:

DSCF0231.jpg

Again all parts are laminated to thick cardboard.

DSCF0250.jpg

A thinner layer of card is glued to the top and bottom side. The parts are separated at different locations so that they support themselves. This increases the strength of the construction. Next will be the handle, the pommel and the

blade-poster-374x500.jpg

source: https://marvelcollectibles.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/blade-poster-374x500.jpg

:D;):)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
In Spanish, "Vaca" means "cow", "v" is pronounced more like "b", so, "Chewbacca", sonically sounds like "Spanglish" for Cowmuncher". A useless factoid.