Cylon armor in EVA foam

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Kilted Rennie, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Kilted Rennie

Kilted Rennie New Member

I'm thinking about trying something like this message playback kit, USB5M 300 second (5 minutes) USB recording module, to give myself a voice.

I could put the buttons into the laser rifle. Or maybe in the glove finger tips so I could trigger them by pressing each finger tip with my thumb or against the rifle.

I wouldn't be very talkative with just four phrases, but it should sound pretty good with a simple amplifier.

2. Kilted Rennie

Kilted Rennie New Member

I started looking for a source of two part polyurethane resin to coat the foam. Not cheap, but I think it will be worth it. You can sand and paint it. It gives the foam a more rigid surface. It takes 10 to 15 minutes to harden so it has time to flow a bit and smooth out the brush strokes. A couple of coats should help hide the seams.

At least I won't have to pay shipping. I found a local provider that just happens to be near the eva foam supplier :D. Smooth Cast 65D is the same stuff used by to coat his eva foam Iron Man armor.

I think it will give the foam a hardened and smooth surface for painting.

ennder and Rhaven Blaack like this.
  3. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

Thank you for the video.
    What a GREAT way to make armor!
  4. Kilted Rennie

Kilted Rennie New Member

I went to Maker Fare Detroit and Smooth On had a booth. The rep told me they have a product just like this that will go directly on eva foam. He said it has almost exactly the same profile as the 65D I was looking at. It's a bit more expensive but I think would be better in the long run. EPSILON® EPS Foam Coating Epoxy
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
  5. Kilted Rennie

Kilted Rennie New Member

Sorry, nothing new to post. It's renaissance faire season so I'm busy faire-ing.