Cylinder/piston replacement on T-15 help

Discussion in 'RC Onroad Forum' started by TCrox, Aug 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TCrox

TCrox Member

Is there something holding that in there other then pressure? It doesn't look like it. Anyone know of a good website for help on rebuilding? I'm a noob.
  2. redheat

redheat Member

Say what ? is it time to rebuild already?
  3. TCrox

TCrox Member

LOL that engine was shot... after 3 hours of attempting to get the sleeve out nicely I took a hammer and a screwdriver to it, still didn't move. So I have a new T-15 and the carb is so ill-adjusted I'm lucky to get the#@$% thing started. LHS is going to get bombed soon....
  4. redheat

redheat Member

Damn what the #$#^## happened? How did you attempt to remove the sleeve and piston? Sleeve comes out first than the piston and rod.Did you mess up the block were the sleeve fits into when you got it apart?
  5. TCrox

TCrox Member

I was just sticking my finger in the sleeve and trying to get it out that way. The rebuild kit was only $25 less then an actual new engine, so I have a new engine on there. I put the new engine on a new chasis (don't ask about the old chasis), and now the new carb is different (there's no freeking low speed needle I can see anywhere!). I'd have to take pictures of it to explain it... either way the lhs is going to tune it, or they're getting a pipe bomb.
  6. redheat

redheat Member

Send a pic after you get everything taken care of, as far as the carb. goes you could have pulled the one off your old motor and put it on your new. /hey as you get deeper into this hobbie youll learn all kinda cool tricks thatll save you some cash and headache.
  7. TCrox

TCrox Member

It moves! I'm so scared to go under 2.75 turns out on the H/S needle, I think I've hit 2nd gear 3 times in 8 on-road tanks (because I was going down-hill). I'll get the cam out tonight and get some pics up of the old and new engine. I had the clutch so wrong, 1.75 hours at the lbs and it started up without moving on it's own. I did get the carb adjusted on my own (I'm so proud!). After about 9 total tanks (I ran 3 at idle) I brought the H/S down to just under 2.5 turns out and it would start and move but as soon as I let off the throttle it would die. I put it back to almost 3 turns out and it holds idle. Throttle stop screw maybe?
  8. redheat

redheat Member

Check to see if you have a air leak hoses,carb., back plate, you no what I'm talking about. at 2.5 turns that motor should idle, Your having to compensate for the extra air thats going into the motor by introducing more fuel into the system. First adjustment should always be the idle screw than go from there. RED
  9. TCrox

TCrox Member

4 additional downloads of historic cardmodels on Kartonmodell-Forum

Is the idle screw the same as the throttle stop screw? I think I have the cheapest carb ever made... I have a screw under the air filter (lbs calls this the throttle stop screw), and a hand adjustable H/S needle. That's it, nothing else is adjustable on it.
  10. redheat

redheat Member

Then thats gonna have to be it, what about the carb. that was on the other t15 can you put that one on or are they different?
  11. redheat

redheat Member

If you had to do it all over again would you get the same car? the reason I'm asking is because I'm looking at getting a road runner. What do you think?
  12. TCrox

TCrox Member

Aside from the manual I'd get this car again. The manual has little to no help when it comes to things like... the clutch! The pictures don't help much, there's no directions other then "break it in, adjust it, drive it". Seems as though they want rookies to blow through engines.

Yeah, I thought about bringing that other carb back also... At this point I'm averaging like $400 a week (including the initial buy) for about 6-7 hours of drive time a week. There's no way I'm going to replace anything right now until it either breaks or I blow another engine. It starts and moves!
  13. redheat

redheat Member

Sounds like your on your way, I must say that AE and Traxxas have very go instructions and as you found out it really makes a big differents, Try keeping 6 of these things going. RED
  14. TCrox

TCrox Member

LOL I forgot you run 6! I'm up and going consistanly now!! Actually last night I had to stop running because I tore my rear tires up. They busted at the seams... I enjoy taking high speed turns. :) Now that I have a better concept of how a nitro engine works it's so much easier to spot problems. Over the weekend and into last night I haven't had to adjust anything other then my H/S needle a little here and there to keep it running rich. With bad tires on I passed my real car while it was doing 45 :) Can't wait to ruin this engine (that sounds bad) so I can get a bigger engine on there and gear it down some.
  15. redheat

redheat Member

What replacement motor did you have in mind? got all 6 running the way I like ,the only thing that I'm gonna change is the front shock springs on the B4 there a little on the stiff side. Rebuilt one of the 2.5 carbs. this weekend ,really needed it the H/S needdle was worn what a difference in the performance. RED
  16. TCrox

TCrox Member

Yeah, I had to replace my rear shocks and thought the color was just for show... so I got white. WAY to loose, the#@$%end hits at high speed over some pretty small bumps. Those are next (after new tires obviously).
    I'm not sure which engine, I know you recommended a few... Probably the biggest #@$% I can fit in there and still get away with the 2 speed. Might end up with a new front end before then to get rid of this steering slop though. It's not a ton but as I've noticed at 50+ mph it doesn't take much to screw me up. If I gear it right and hit 70+ this slop would take me into curbs with a new engine.
  17. redheat

redheat Member

Keep me posted. Still looking at getting a buggie or off road st? I'm telling you the RC10gt is the way to go ,just!!# of fun to play with, and sounds like your getting the hang of things so I think that you'll be able to trouble shoot any problems that would come up. RED
  18. TCrox

TCrox Member

Well that didn't last long :) I went out and got new rims and tires... I either screwed up putting them on (that'd be hard to do, being so easy), or something happened because now when I get on it it pulls hard to the right. So hard that when I hit second gear it slammed me into a parking curb. Exhaust is shot, picking that up tonight..

Why would it roll straight but with any kind of throttle pull hard right?
  19. redheat

redheat Member

Start with the basic stuff throttle trim set, servo horn loose, tires on tight, turn buckle inplace, start with that, think you need to think about an off roader , RED
  20. TCrox

TCrox Member

yeah, we went out and got a buggy (X-cellerator)... already spent $120 to fix a runaway lol. the battery pack broke, full speed into a brick wall! the chasis was twisted, seriously twisted. But my RS4 is finally back to 100%... 3rd chasis (too lazy to try and straighten the 2nd one). Turns out it was pulling because I was missing the pin in one of the front wheels. Oops! Much more reserved with high speed turns around parking curbs now lol
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.