CVR - The Birth of A Town

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by Will_annand, Jan 27, 2006.

1. CharlesH.

CharlesH. Member

Great looking town, Will! Keep us posted!
  2. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

Thanks Charles.

Well, I had a chance to work on the diorama again tonight, just putting a second coat of paint on the individual panels of the DPM kits. Tomorrow hopefully I can put the shades in the windows and maybe the interior shots in the buildings. then comes the gluing together and finally another series of photos.

After that there will be the detailing of the scene.
  3. Will_annand

Another hour spent tonight. I have the windows in and the curtains up. Still not to a point where I think photos will do it justice. Maybe I will have time tomorrow after work to put things together and be ready for the camera.
  4. coaster

coaster Member

I doubt that I'm the only one around here looking forward to those photos, Will!

-- Paul
  5. Will_annand

It does not seem like I am getting much done. :oops: sign1

Of course, the diorama does contain 11 structures, 15 stores if you count building one as 5 storefronts. Right now I am building 5 DPM kits at once. I am debating on using the "back walls" from the kit or just card stocking a fake back wall as right now it will not be seen, however, if I do detail the back, I can move it to a new layout and not care where it is placed... decisions, decisions. :D

Here are two photos from this morning, the diorama is back on the dining room table. I put it there when my wife lets me. fence1

Also, I have cropped one to show the upper floor details I added. Instead of lighting, I just put in curtains. :thumb:

Attached Files:

6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Member

Great work Will :thumb:

That town's beginning to look down right civilized. :D
  7. Will_annand

Now listen here Doc!
    Don't you go talkin' like that, son. We'uns here don't need no big city dudes tellin' us we iz Civy-lized.
    We iz just plain country folks, don't need no Lec-trixity or horse-less buggies neither.

This here is only 1890... we done got us a big town here...
    Why we are nigh on 1500 people, and we done give George Laidlaw $15,000.00 to get his steam trains to come here.

Why I would hazzard a guess that even in the next hundred and fifteen years that there wern't be moren' 25,000 people in Orangeville.
  8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Member

Now you just hold your horses there Will. Who you callin' a big city dude?

Actually, I didn't mean for you to get a bee in your bonnet. It's just that, compared to my little cow town of Defiance, (population unknown 'cause we can't count that high) Orangeville seems like a burgeoning metropoli! sign1
  9. Will_annand

Thems fighten words Doc. fence1

You Suthern boys are alwayz cauzin truble. sign1

(seriously, Thanks man).
  10. Will_annand

More work completed and a new set of photos....

Still on the "To Do" list:

1. Boardwalk in front of stores.
    2. Dirt road main street.
    3. "green space" between main street and right of way.
    3. Fence between green space and right of way.
    4. Let the people move in.
    5. set diorama on layout.

To refresh memories, this is a 7.5" wide x 36" long diorama.

Attached Files:

11. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Great work, Will!
    That backdrop really adds to the scene!
    :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  12. Will_annand

Drew SSHH!! :)

That is a sample I DLed from Backdrop Warehouse and printed out.

His full size ones are 36" x 12", I printed the downloadable sample out, it was 10.5" x 48"
  13. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

Great job> The town is coming along nicely!
  14. Will_annand

Thanks Tom, yes, I finally had time to work on it. :D
  15. Will_annand

Here is a shot from above.

Attached Files:

16. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Looking great Will!! :thumb:

17. Will_annand

Time for an update...

YES, I did get time to work on the layout, well at least the Orangeville diorama.

So here is the photo results.

First, from left to right: Cafe, Men's Wear, Tobacconist, "Store For Rent", Barber and Baths, Resaurant (complete with awning) and just a glimpse of the Doctor's Office.

Next we have: the "Store for Rent", the Restaurant, Doctor's Office, Gunsmith Shop, and a lady entering the Hardware Store.

Again the Hardware Store, The Newspaper, a vacant lot, and half of the Saloon.

Once again the vacant lot, Saloon, two ladies outside the Millinery shop, and a delivery to the General Store.

Again, part of the Millinery shop, the General Store, the Bank and part of the large Town Hall.

Is that cows in the street??? What kind of town is this, that cannot really have happened?

Actually, here is a historical photo of Orangeville.

Now for two close ups.

Still to do, is finish the boardwalk. Hope you enjoyed your walk down Broadway in Orangeville, Ontario circa 1900.
  18. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

looks like a real "cow town" to me! :D Good Job, I really like how the general store turned out!
  19. Will_annand

Thanks Miles, I tried to make each shop distinct. Each has and photo in the 1st floor and curtains in the upper.
  20. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Member

Lookin' good there Will.

Thanks for the update.