CVR - The Birth of A Town

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
I think things have finally settled down (business wise), so now things can pick up (layout wise).

That being said, tonight was the birth of a town. Well, the birth of Main Street, Orangeville. The northern terminus of the Credit Valley Railway in 1885.

I started out with 3 pieces of 1" blue foam. The bottom is 7.5" wide by 36" long, the next level was 18" long and the last level was 9" long (see the trend, :D ).

Plaster was mixed up, acrylic paint (DecoArt Tan and Burnt Umber) was added and then I got out the collection of used Dryer Sheets I have been saving.

Dip, drain, spread.... repeat.

I took these shots just after cleaning up. My work table right now is our dining room table with a colorful plastic cloth on it. :thumb:

Hopefully I can get things going. On top I hope to have a main street of buildings. It will be 14 buildings grouped in three blocks.

Attachments

• CVR-Downtown01.jpg
    CVR-Downtown01.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 253
  • CVR-Downtown02.jpg
    CVR-Downtown02.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 256
  • CVR-Downtown03.jpg
    CVR-Downtown03.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 260

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
Dryer sheets? Did I read that correctly? As in:

pg36000.jpg

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Thanks Tom.

You got that right, Dryer Sheets... :eek:

I bet whoever does your laundry throws them away. hamr
I have had my wife saving them for about a year now. I have a bulk size hot chocolate tin full of them.

They work great, hold together better than paper towels as they are a fabric material, plus the cost is right. :D

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Had some time to play with a mockup this morning.

The fence along the front is Rusty Stumps Security Fencing.
I will have to do some research tonight and post what each of those buildings are.

Off to work now.

Attachments

• CVR-Downtown04.jpg
    CVR-Downtown04.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 252
  • CVR-Downtown05.jpg
    CVR-Downtown05.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 246
  • CVR-Downtown06.jpg
    CVR-Downtown06.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 246
  • CVR-Downtown07.jpg
    CVR-Downtown07.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 244
C

Catt

Hi Will, town is looking good.I've been using dryer sheets for about 10 years now and plan to stop using them when they plant me. :D

FYI furr y'all though.You can buy the same material at fabric shops by the yard.I have no idea what the cost is but it can't be that much.

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Thanks Catt and Papa.

Well, I did my research tonight and this is what I came up with: (from the top of the hill down).

1. Walther's Merchant's Row I (complete with elastic band) :D
2. From Walther's State Street Shops
3. DPM Cricket's Saloon
4. DPM Haye's Hardware
5. DPM Char's Soda Shoppe
6. Model Power Star Journal Building (Thanks Coaster)
7. DPM Crestone Credit Union
8. From Walther's University Avenue Shops
9. DPM Otto's Parts
10. Model Power General Electric Building (Thanks again Coaster)

coaster

Jan 13, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
As memory serves me, number 6 is one or another incarnation of what was originally offered in HO (by Model Power, I think?) as the "Ramsey Journal" building -- whose prototype is better known to many as the onetime headquarters for Railroad Model Craftsman. I think it's currently marketed today in various scales as the "Star-Journal."

-- Paul

coaster

Jan 13, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
And building #10, meanwhile . . .

. . . is the Model Power "General Electric Building," the identity of which was merrily proceeding to drive me crazy until I -- finally! -- located it in the Walthers catalogue. (I knew I knew that place!)

-- Paul