Cutty Sark

baxter16

May 3, 2015
My second paper model build. I made some mods to the creative park download. I used bamboo chopsticks for the masts instead of the folded cardstock ones. and like wise used skewers for the yardarms and bowsprit. I cut off the cardstock ratlines at the turnbuckle and strung thread for backstays. I then used thread for rigging which the original did not have. I found some chain at a craft store and added it for bowsprit stays. The dollar bill is for size reference. The sails are copy paper which made them easier to billow out.
It took the mast changes quite nicely.. an easy mod. I printed the model at the original size. I also added the bumkins/catheads from the Schreiber Bogen model of the Gorch Fock to tie off some of the rigging and brass fish hooks with cut down shanks for eyes to attach the chain.

The model has nice printed detail and the parts fit very well. [/ATTACH] 20150512_171845.jpg 20150512_171601.jpg 20150512_171525.jpg 20150512_171505.jpg 20150512_171453.jpg

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
When I see the words "Cutty Sark", my attention is instantly drawn. I have not been let down either. Great job on an extremely difficult subject to model, regardless of medium.

The history of this ship is astounding. She also has one of the most beautiful figure heads ever made. It's wonderful that she is still around, and will be for many generations to see the pinnacle of tall ship design, with the Thermopylae being the only ship comparable, though she was torpedoed as Target practice by Portugal, a great sin, in 1907. The Cutty Sark was faster in Hard winds, while the Thermopylae fared better in light breezes. :)

Cutty_Sark_Figurehead.jpg