Cutting Tools

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by possm_23, Feb 10, 2006.

1. possm_23

possm_23 Member

Where can i purchase dispoable scapels?????:???:
  2. 46rob

46rob Member

Try Micromark. I've used them, and in my opinion, theyu're a bit too fragile for the demands of cutting out cardstock. The tips bend easily and break off.

I've had much better luck using Excel (not Xacto) #11 blades in the pen style holders.
  3. Gil

Gil Active Member

Try the following:

Widget Supply

Scalpels are very sharp and take a trained hand. You will use them a lot once you've become accustomed to them. They do take a lighter hand. Also learn to sharpen them using a hard buffing pad with rubbing compound on a Dremel tool. This will extend blade life by an amazing amount.

4. josve

josve Active Member

I buy my scalpels in the Apotheque.Same place you get medicine etc etc.
    They cost almost nothing and they also have several types of blades.
  5. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Hi possm_23 LATERZ! (?)

Here in Sweden, disposable scalpels can be bought from an all-round hobby store (Claes Ohlson).
    Personally, I use a Swann & Morton scalpel. They´ve got a new handle now - the "Retract-away", which saves both fingers and blades. You just push a little lever to swing the blade into position and pull the same lever to retract it.
    It´s also very well balanced and sturdy. I use blades 11 (a sturdy, pointed blade) and E11, which is slightly thinner. the interchangeable blades are not too expensive and can furthermore easily be sharpened with a small grinding stone and water.
    For cutting out small round parts, like windows on airplanes, I use the X-Acto "Swivel" knife with a tiny, rotating blade.
    When I want to cut through thick, heavy 1mm cardboard, I use a large hobby knife -with snap-off blades- (I think it´s Japanese) which is very cheap.
    I think I will try Johnny Svensson´s suggestion with the Pharmacy, though...
    Bengt Fredén, Stockholm.