Cutting tiny circles

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by Cut 'n' Paste, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Cut 'n' Paste

Cut 'n' Paste Ex-pat

I was wondering about ways to neatly cut out quite tiny inside-circles. I thought of those curved chisels I used to use for wood turning, and wondered if there's anything like them in miniature. Does anyone have any tips about this? When I cut small circles, I have to use a scalpel, and I make radius cuts all round, then carefully pick out all the thin triangles that are the result. A curved punch would make this a lot easier.
    Another thing I've considered (but can't seem to find) is a set of cork borers.
    Any ideas?

get a paper drill - got mine on ebay and love it!
  2. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Graham -

Here's a thread on the Japanese "screw punch", or "punch drill", which is popular.

There are (at least) two versions available, a Japanese one (higher quality) and a Chinese one (lower price). Some have metric bits, some have imperial, so if that matters, be careful which one you buy.

If you can't find a place to buy one in France, one source where you can get one of the cheap ones is at this online sewing supply store , price with five bits (2mm, 2.5mm, 3mm, 4mm, 5mm) is $28. (they accept international orders). Other shops sell them, you can also find them on eBay. Lots more info in the thread linked above.

Hopefully you can find a source in Europe. Bon chance! :)
  3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Thats what I got :) the japanese one :)
  4. Texman

Texman Guest

As did I, LOVE IT!
  5. jemac25

jemac25 New Member

You can take an old telescoping antenna from a junk transistor radio and pull the tubes apart. Take your hobby knife and sharpen the inside of each tube. Measure the outside diameters and mark them with tape on the outside. To use them, align the tube with the hole and use a clockwise, anti-clockwise motion while pressing down slightly.

6. KCStephens

KCStephens Member

WOW What a great Idea, jemac! I never thought of that one - THANKS :thumb:
  7. Romanator

Romanator Member

The really cheapo and unprofessional way to do it would be to poke holes with a pin, tack, or nail. Start with the smaller diameter tool (pin) and work up so that hole stays on center. This method leaves a "rim" on the back side of paper. Use the sharp knife or a razor blade and cut it off ( hold the blade at less than 35 degrees to page and use sawing motion. )

If this is confusing, I'll try to post pics. :p

Best part it doesnt need any special tools or cannibalizm of old toys
  8. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

Nice idea, Jemac. I think I will try it. Much appreciated.
  9. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Cross-over from the model railroad side... ;)

Some model railroaders have employed a similar approach. Short sections of brass tubing can be sharpened by chucking them in a drill and holding a small file inside to create a punch. Brass tubing is available in a variety of diameters at many hobby shops. Brass is strong enough to punch through styrene and cardstock too.

Hope that helps.

10. pahorace

pahorace Member

11. Runkle

Runkle New Member

Orazio, I've tried all kinds of ways, but all having to with the punch concept. Now this jig and drill idea opens up a whole new range of hole sizes... brilliant, just brilliant, I'm heading to the shop right after posting.

Orazio, thank you for sharing the link.

12. pahorace

pahorace Member