cutting thick stock

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by eatcrow2, Jul 4, 2006.

1. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

A trick I use for cutting thicker stock, is to drag my knife through a piece of "beeswax" before cutting.. You'll be surprised at how much smoother the blade glides through stock.. redo as needed.

2. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Wow, great idea!

Thanks for the tip, Peter!

3. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Heck that IS a great idea.
  4. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

My wife and I have used beeswax for years for all kinds of things that need "slicking" up. Needles, beading thread, little drill bits, and Exacto blades.
    Both of us do bead work, Native American arts and crafts (up to and including beaded shirts, dresses and moccasins). I built plastic models for years and used a lot of beeswax in that hobby. It's also good for Exacto saw blades.

A few years ago, we were in New Mexico, and lost our last chunk of beeswax. We checked in a bead shop and we told to try Thread Heaven, that we would like better. We no longer use beeswax!!!!! It comes in a neat little blue plastic box with a hinged lid. It stays cleaner and is easier to find among your tools. We have found it lately in craft and bead stores, and in fabric shops.

:grin: Try it ---- you'll like it:grin:

5. shrike

shrike Guest

Does that affect gluing at all? I use PVA for 99% of my work and I'm curious if the wax prevents water based glues from sticking.
  6. Gil

Gil Active Member

It's none of your ersatz beeswax...,

Beeswax is also used by ship modelers to "wet" down rigging to prevent the fuzzies from showing. Wax the line after it's been colored It dissolves in paint thinner allowing a film to be deposited on just about any surface making it a great mold release agent. I also use it to loosen up the shower nozzle on it's ball joint...., -Gil
  7. 46rob

46rob Member

Rub it on a zipper that's prone to jamming. I use it on the catch bag for my chipper-vac. Zipper outlasts the bag. Used to be the zipper would fail in a season or two.
  8. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

I've never had a problem with Thread Heaven or beeswax affecting gluing with PVA glues, cyanoacrilates, or liquid cement for plastics since you use such a minute amount of the wax. With a #11 Exacto blade you just poke the tip into the block of wax or swipe the cutting edge on the surface. If you see any on the blade, wipe it off!