Cutting Out Card

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by papastumpy, Jan 18, 2009.

1. papastumpy

papastumpy Member

I have a question that may sound silly, but here goes. How do you cut your card? The #11 blade is bevelled to make a cutting edge as on all blades. Did you know that when you cut thru an object the edges are not cut in a straight edge, but because the knife blade is beveled, the cut edge is also. I saw on another Forum, in (German) and I speak Kline Dutch, the individual illustrates this and describes the way to eliminate this. Now I know most of you are saying, I have never really thought about this being a problem. Here is a tip from a Vinyl Floor Installer, if the cut edge of both pieces are perpendicular to each, the resulting mated surface is invisible. In other words the money maker for a vinyl floor is you can not find the seam. Now why would we not want that as well for or card models????????????:eek: My tip is this, just as I do w/vinyl, do not hold the handle/blade straight up, angle the blade to the right of the cut a few degrees to the edge, this results in the printed side being cut perpendicular. You assemble to perpendicular pieces together. you eliminate the chances of a resulting gap and or miss match edge to be joined together.:twisted:
  2. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Interesting observation. I will try it out next time I am in a cutting mood. I have noticed sometimes when cutting out parts that a slight ridge is left at the cut. Burnishing the edges usually eliminates the ridge. :)
  3. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

You are right. I figured that one out but maintaining the cutting discipline is a real chore.
  4. TXVanguard

TXVanguard New Member

Some Japanese chef's knives are ground with a single bevel--one side of the blade is vertical (i.e., has no bevel), and the other side is beveled at about 10 to 15 degrees. I wonder if anyone makes a hobby knife with a single bevel.
  5. christian5052

christian5052 New Member

Very interesting point, never though abouit it.