Cutting Mat???

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by Rawjinks, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Rawjinks

Rawjinks New Member

What cutting mat size and manf. would you guys recommend?

2. rickstef

rickstef Guest

well, I know that walmart has a nice one that can fit in a 3 ring binder, which is clear, i picked one of those up for a couple of bucks, made by Fiskars

the blue mat which shows in some of my pictures is from Dritz, bought at fabric store/craft store.

Olfa makes a couple of sizes, check with your local craft stores

3. Ken Horne

Ken Horne Member

I have found, at work and at play, that the more expensive the matt, the better it is. Sad but true :)

Olfa matts are great and craft store "Hobby" matts are less so. The matt I'm using at home right now was a cheapo from Micheals and even the heat from my lamps (I like them low) can warp the thing. Luckily they usually flatten out, but not always. I've even wrecked one in the car before I even got home. Keep them out of heat!

The Olfa matts are expensive but are about twice as thick and seem to heal better, leaving less lines for the next blade to follow.

I think this is a time where it pays to pay a bit more,

4. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

5. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

6. Rawjinks

Rawjinks New Member

Thanks for the info fellas...

Thank You,

7. xyberz

xyberz Member

So there's nothing out there that will provide enough grip while not allowing the blade to slice through? I really hate it when I end up hitting an old cut and it messes up the line. :(
  8. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Helix makes good self healing mats.

They also make a nice non-slip (cork backed) steel ruler.

I have the 12x18 mat, but don't recall where I got it. The Helix site says these folks carry their stuff:

Office Max
    Office Depot
    Dick Blick
  9. gwssms

gwssms Member

I agree with Doug's choice. I also use the Fiskars 11 X 18 mat which I purchased at Walmart in the fabric/craft section. It is large enough for longer cuts and does not suffer from the "old cut" issue. I tend to do most of my cutting within a 6 inch square area and have had no problems. Relatively inexpensive but good quality.
  10. shrike

shrike Guest

Something else to think about. If you have a choice of mats, consider one with a colour that contrasts with your normal subject matter.
    30+% of all male humans have some degree of colourblindness. It may be very mild, probably undiagnosed and have no bearing on 99.9% of your life.
    I didn't know about mine until the second day of a very thorough, very intense and frankly rather invasive Air Force flight physical. A very mild case (Pastel green/pale grey - 2nd ser. Ishihara FWIW) washed me out. OTOH, it also diqualified my for being an Army cook, so silver lining time<G>)

When my Fiskars matt got a little grotty, I replaced it with a bright blue one and have had a much more pleasant,and less eye-strained time building airplanes that tend to be grey/green/olive/brown.
  11. xyberz

xyberz Member

No wonder why I always can't color match my clothes! Luckily I have a girlfriend to do that for me! LoL
  12. hpept

hpept Member

Ahahah... you made me laugh. You're lucky cause you have someone who does it for you. Since my wife doesn't care very much about the way i dress, i often go out like a clown :cry: :grin:
  13. shrike

shrike Guest

It does tend to explain why women can quantify 23 shades of what men would call "off white"
  14. xyberz

xyberz Member

Damn 23?!?!?! Weird though, if those statements are really true, then why are some gay men really good designers, decoraters, etc?