Cutting Mat Repair - Don't Laugh

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by Bowdenja, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

OK Guys,

I got a new mat a while back and I'm not very careful with it. Truthfully it is my work station. I cut, glue, fold bend and mutilate on it. Mainly because of the dreaded lack-of-space symdrome.

Anyway, because I abused it in this manner it had a build up of cuts, stray glue blobs and general funk on it. My knife tended to wander on the cut and it was getting to be a problem.

So I took it outside (hint hint) and grabbed my random orbital sander and had at it. :twisted:

IT WORKED! All the extra stuff sanded away, including dried CA clue. It's now a flat un-gunked up cutting surface. I don't know how many times I can do this but if anybody else suffers from this malady, here's a in-expensive cure.:grin:

2. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Sound's like another " I am a redneck paper modeler". Sorry John I just couls not resist. I spent all day picking on my boss. So now I am off for the next 6 days. But hey, as long as it works. :)
  3. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Oven cleaner works, too!

Oven cleaner (the aerosol kind,non-fuming) has proven to be the universal solvent around here..altho the sander thing sortta has some merit....
  4. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey Fishcarver....... I thought about trying some type of cleaner. But I use CA alot now. Especially since 46Rob turned me on to the accelerator. Boy nothing is better on small parts that need to be stuck fast with fat fingers!:twisted:

So I had a build-up of the stuff on it, and sanding was about the only thing that was going to get the mat back level again.

Hey Dave.......I bought a double sized mat to begin with, and I only use half of it at a time. The rest is under my keyboard drawer. So if I boogered it up I still had half a good mat to work with. Just turn it over and put the boogered up side under the drawer.

I might be a redneck modeler but I ain't dumb! I got to have my cutt'n mat to keep my fix going!:grin:

Yes it did remove the marking grid on it don't bother me because I never used em anyway. did give it a "matt" finish!:roll:

5. rickstef

rickstef Guest

a faint rimshot in the background

6. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Aw.........come on Rick, I thought it was good for three!