Cutting Fastrack

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by docknee, Oct 26, 2006.

1. docknee

docknee New Member

I created a layout "around the room" - 12 inch shelf goes around family room so I have about 80 feet of track. Fastrack is unforgiving and walls are not square so there are place that the track just does not mate - I need a 1" piece for example. Has anyone cut Fastrack and if so how. I had no advice on my project so I used Fastrack but in hindsite something like Gargraves Flex might have been easier. Here is my project

Just started so looking for advisors - no clubs here in the mountains of Western NC so I am on my own.
    Thanks for any help - on the forum or direct
  2. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member

Ah, that's really nice looking. I've been wanting to do this (in a smaller room) for quite some time.

I think that the Fastrack (or any snap together roadbed included system) is great for this, but as you say it's unforgiving and doesn't always match up with the room perfectly. I would suggest getting as close as you can and then use a small section of flex track to get a clean connection at the end. Being up on a shelf like that one little 6" or so section of unmatched track shouldn't be noticable.
  3. docknee

docknee New Member

Thanks, good idea - you need two transitions pieces and then the gargraves but you cut that to any size. Lots of ways to hide it up there for sure.
  4. pgandw

pgandw Active Member

I have read of cutting Fastrack by cutting a section out of the middle and glueing the 2 ends back together. Jumper wires of some kind would have to be soldered across the cuts.
  5. JeepMan

JeepMan New Member

I think my brother sells 1" sections, granted fastrack does not cut into custom sizes, but you will have to buy the smaller sections to size it or use a converting adapter section to convert to the old lionel tube rail and then you can cut that to size and then covert back to fastrack.

6. docknee

docknee New Member

Thanks Tom, seem like the advise is work your way around and fill the gap with something like Gargraves flex - Lionel makes a transition piece for that. I have the 1 3/4 piece of Flex but when you go around odd corners etc I ended up with a gap that would not work with any size of flex track - got the idea now - thanks a lot