Cutting a ring

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by DarthPineapple, May 5, 2009.

1. Hi guys,

Recently I've found it very hard to cut a circle. For example if you have to cut out an 'O' shaped ring, what's the best way of cutting out the middle? I use a knife but usually that ends up in an uneven cut out circle.

Thank you!
  2. wccrawford

wccrawford Novice Papercrafter

Work slower, use less pressure. As far as I know, there's no real 'technique' other than just having steady hands and not pressing too hard.
  3. Soaring

Soaring Middle School Student

From what I've heard, a punch tool works wonders.
  4. silveroxide

silveroxide Well-Known Member

For small holes I use a leather work punch wheel. For larger indside circles I use old metal pens and metal tube. I use my dremel to sharpen the cutting edge. There I have my home made hole punch. If you use aluminum tubing, you will have to keep re-sharpening your cutting edge.
  5. Silveroxide, what exactly do you use for the larger holes? Do you have those 'tubes' in all kinds of shapes and sizes?
  6. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

there are several methods available to you. If the hole is large, you can easily use the Olfa circle cutter. Costs about $10 and will easily cut anywhere from a 1/8" to 3" circle.

If you will be cutting small holes, I suggest you make a series of punches from hypodermic tubing, which is available from Small Parts. Just google it.

Hypodermic tubing is a high carbon steel which will hold an edge for a long time. To sharpen it, you merely chuck a piece into your rotary tool and grind the edge till it is sharp. The technique for doing this is to use a well oiled grindstone, hold the rotary tool at about a 10 to 20 degree angle to the stone. Use the coarse side for initial shaping and the fine side for final shape. Rotate the tubing against a piece of leather (an old leather shoe sole will work just fine) to strop the edge (debur the edge).

YOur punches will last a considerable time and will easily cut through paper or cardboard. In fact, you can use them on soft woods, too. Just hone them from time to time to keep them sharp.

If you shape the outside of the tube, you will cut the inside diameter of the hypo in the paper. It may be preferable to grind the inside of the hypo so that you cut the OD of the hypo. To grind the inside, Dremel makes a large range of conical grinding tools available at Lowes or Home Depot.

Finally, hypo tubing comes in a huge array of sizes and is relatively inexpensive making it an excellent choice for creating a hole cutting set.
  7. jgderuvo

jgderuvo Member

What you could try is to go to a hardware store and get a variety of washers. Each will give you two different sizes and you can cut along the edge of the inside or outside. And a good hardware store will have sizes that get pretty large.
  8. SJPONeill

SJPONeill Guest

I mentioned the craft circle cutter I use in your 'Help' thread which cuts circles from 1-15cm. When cutting concentric circles, make sure you work from the outside in, or you will lose your centre point (sounds common sense but you can figure out how I learned this one!).

The problem I will have for an upcoming project is how to cut out circles that are approx 30cm in diameter as I have yet to come across a cutter that will go this big?
  9. Ron Caudillo

Ron Caudillo Creative Advisory Consultant Moderator

Where can I go and buy the hypodermic tubing? I don't imagine you just go down to the local hardware store and pick some up.

Best Regards,
  10. David H

David H Member

11. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Ron, this takes you to the Small Parts sight, the opening page of which just happens to highlight all types of tubing, hypodermic included. Beauty of this stuff is that it is available in concentric sizes meaning you can easily slide one in the other from the smallest to the largest. I use that feature to make operating oleo struts in my airplane models or simulated hydraulic actuators.
  12. Ron Caudillo

Ron Caudillo Creative Advisory Consultant Moderator

Thanks Dave!
    Too bad they don't offer an assortment pack.

Best Regards,
  13. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

The hypo tubing is most excellent for rolling paper tubes as well for small parts. They are in many sizes so it really helps out.
  14. lubinzer

lubinzer New Member

Usually, in small size ring I use circle punch (0.5mm~10mm) and in larger one, circle cutter (OLFA's) ^^
  15. Dell_Zantoz

Dell_Zantoz New Member

Don't throw out your old transistor and tv antennas, i cut them and grind the edges to make hole punches. The upside is that the telescoping antenna has different diameters included, so you have a set in no time at all.
  16. christian5052

christian5052 New Member

A lot of practice and a 11 blade.