Curtains and Blinds and Shades, OH MY!

Morning Gentlemen!

I’ve been using ribbon from Jo Ann Fabrics to make HO scale window shades, blinds and curtains. There is such a variety in the “ribbon” aisle and it seems like there is always a bin of it on sale.

blindsandcurtains.jpg

windowsandcurtainsraw.jpg

I used one style in the picture window, and a different type for the door. The upstairs window shades are actually the paper dividers that come between each “pane” of microscope slide covers, which I used for the glass.

wc1.jpg

wc1raw.jpg

N

nachoman

That's a really great idea. I probably don't have to visit joanne's though. I am sure my mom has heaps of the stuff she never uses :) Now, of course I am a grown man and don't need to mooch of my mother, but by using anything from my moms packed room full of crafting supplies I would be doing her (and my dad) a favor! :D:D:D:D

Kevin

doctorwayne

Those curtains and blinds look good, Kyle, but I think that your house needs a little more insulation. :p:-D Either that or a coat of dark paint or heavy paper on the interior walls. I'm puzzled, though, as your first picture doesn't seem to suffer from light leakage like the others. Nevertheless, a good tip for decorative window treatments. :thumb:

Wayne

Wayne,

Another tip... the house is on the workbench being lit with big halogen bulb you could read by. I use it to test for light leaks. When I finish her off with soffets, a top-coat of paint and a proper sized bulb on a dimmer, it should be ok.

EK

ps. Thanks for all the interest, comments and kind words... keeps me going!

spitfire

Great idea! I usually just print my curtains on an ink-jet from downloads I find on Google, but I will definitely have to give this a try. :thumb:

Val

w8jy

Kyle, I had never thought of that test light idea either. That makes it so much easier than undoing the permanent wiring, fixing the leaks and the rewiring.
I really like the blinds. Modeling in N scale makes efforts like that a really challenge for these big, clumsy figures. Nice job!

Happy to share. You can get a miniature halogen light that can be lit by your power supply from Radio Shack. Mine is about as big as a miniature x mas tree light and Dr. Wayne is right, they DO get hot.

Here is the module as part of the scene. We should put the camera right down on the layout and take our chances with the results more often.

rs1.jpg

rsbw.jpg

ruralbirdseye.jpg

ruralscene.jpg

Merry Christmas!

Nazgul

Kyle, you've done great job! (but don't you always) The window treatments look awesome, as does the whole structure:thumb:

I use ribbon from Joann's as well...

I used this ribbon for curtains:
photos019small.jpg

photos014small.jpg

photos026small.jpg