Curses to the glue!

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by benhpark, Oct 28, 2007.

1. benhpark

benhpark Stealth Modeler

Every time when I start modeling, I see little amount of glue that always blur the pieces:cry: Does anybody have a solution for that problem??

Ben P
  2. josve

josve Active Member

I always uses a syringe to apply the glue.And the messing with glue is almost gone :)
  3. charliec

charliec Active Member

A light spray with acrylic on the parts sheets before cutting out/gluing often helps - any excess glue can be simply wiped up - it doesn't soak into the card.

4. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

What kind of glue and what weight paper? I found with white glue it wipes off the card pretty easily. Aileens wipes off easier than elmers.

On plastic canopies UHU wipes off fairly easily if you dont use waaaaayyyyyy too much. (like I did) ;)
  5. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Ok - I have a semi-related question. I picked up a bottle of Aileen's gold, but there's no cap. So when I cut the opening, it'll be exposed to air. Will this dry out the bottle? Do I need to go back to the store and try and find a cap to snag?
  6. benhpark

benhpark Stealth Modeler

I am sorry, dansls1, but that is out of topic.

Thank you everyone, for your help ^^
  7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Take a couple drops of glue and let it harden a bit. Stick it on top of the bottle. You can make a cap out of non stick aluminum foil too :)
  8. AbysmalPea

AbysmalPea Hey! You with the face!

@ dansls1: A thumb tack works surprisingly well in that situation. Just cut off the top, stick the tack on the top and viola, instant and convenient cap. I've never applied this solution to Tacky Glue (I used it more for superglue and the like, and tacky glue generally DOES come with a cap), but I wish I had. The clogs that happen with those bottles can get insanely frustrating.

@ ben: My only suggestion would be to put less glue on the paper. I find toothpicks to be a great, as toothpicks are easy to buy and cost a fraction of a cent each. Just pour some glue out onto a piece of card with all the parts cut out, barely dip the toothpick in the glue, and bam! instant precision gluing device. The only problems with this method are that it wastes glue, and it can be a pain in the :curse: to get the feel for how much glue to place on the toothpick. Too much and your problem stays unsolved, too little and parts don't like holding together. But it's generally low maintenance and cheap, and allows you to easily spread glue around.

I've never used a syringe, so I can't really compare toothpicks to that option.

@ Everyone else: Hi, I'm new here. :p

Ah, nothing like posting in 2:30 in the morning, blearily looking at your post, and realizing what you just wrote makes you look like a complete idiot. The man who invented the edit button is a genius and should be recognized as such.
  9. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

This addresses BOTH situations. Aileens bottles have a hole large enough to accept a toothpick. It both plugs the hole AND gives you a great applicator so that you can easily control how you apply the glue. When it gets a little 'goopey' from use you can toss it for a fresh one.

Awesome guys ... thanks you solved a question I was just about to think up. =)
  10. Gregory Shoda

Gregory Shoda Member

I pour a small amount of glue on a sheet of flexible plastic. For an applicator, I use a short awl (which has a handle that has two flattened sides for safety). The amount of glue applied can thereby be easily controled and easily directed. Glue on both are easily removed after it has hardened a bit. Sometimes, for small cracks, I use an Exacto knife as an applicator.
  11. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

:thumb:I have found that switching to a Duco type glue like Golden Bear uses virtually elimnated the problems I was having with glue smears on the outside of my models................

The brand I have tried, dries to a rubbery consistancy (like rubber cement) and can be gently rubbed off the model without leaving any trace of the offending smudge.

12. romfolmar

romfolmar New Member

I had been using toothpicks and scrap paper and tossing them as they became clogged.
    I tried the awl and plastic. Works great and clean up a breeze. Thanks for the tip.