Current Lunar Space Missions - LRO/LCROSS

Discussion in 'Free Models' started by Retired_for_now, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

You can find a 1:30 scale model of the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO) and my 1:48 scale models of the associated Lunar CRater Observation and Sensing Satellite (LCROSS) + Centaur rocket upper stage impactor here: select downloads.

Print the LRO at about 63% to get it to 1:48 and you can make the whole stack.

Mission was launched in May 2009 and the LCROSS and Centaur are planned to impact the moon (throwing up a large dust plume for analysis by LRO and every professionsal and amateur astronomer on earth - or in orbit) on 9 Oct 2009.

First steps (splats?) back to the moon.

2. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

New Moon Race interest count?

Tinkering now with the Lunar Prospector at 1:48 scale. Only previous offerings are the NASA kids marshmallow version (don't start), an old white paper (sketch) model from NASA, and a defunct resin model ($55???). Any interest in working up a set for the Race (back) to the Moon?

Historical (pre-Apollo) + Current=Hiten, Clementine, Lunar Prospector, Kaguya/Selene (JAXA has model), Chang-e, Chandrayaan, SMART, the LRO/LCROSS stack (models available from Ariz State U), Constellation capsule and lander (courtesy Jon Leslie at the Lower Hudson Valley Challenger Center).

3. ovation

ovation Member

Thanks for the link .. Id missed them :rolleyes:
    Both models awaiting to be printed,thanks,

I'm pretty sure I did a lunar prospector a long time back (can't remember which version it was) but I'm interested in making all the probes that went to the moon (ranger,surveyor etc) upto today's ones,

JJ (JJ-UK):wave:
  4. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Lunar Prospector and Clementine Models

So far, worked up the Lunar Prospector and Clementine, while Ranger (block III) is in progress. I'll probably drop them to the Lower Hudson Valley Challenger Center when finished. There's a Surveyor by Ton already posted there.
    Any thoughts on scale - I'm still wondering if 1:24 isn't better for little hands to both make and handle.

Lunar Prospector
  5. ovation

ovation Member

I downloaded the surveyor a while ago,but never got round to making it (it looks a complicated model)

As for the scale,Im easy :mrgreen:

JJ (JJ-UK)
  6. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

And now, Ranger

Ton's surveyor is lined up behind his Voyager on my "to-do" list. Did get the Ranger done (1:48 ). Still tweaking some details and working up a 1:24 version before posting.

7. ovation

ovation Member

Looks good :thumb:
    What with surveyor,ranger,explorer,clementine,prospector etc it looks like Il be having to clear some shelves again :mrgreen:

Im still currently working on my large mercury (atomic city model),
    (1/64) Skylab,surfdukes Lunar rover,and both Direct launcher versions,

I think I should actualy get round to finishing one or two of them :rolleyes::twisted:

JJ.. (JJ-UK)
  8. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

40 years ago today

Apollo 11 launched 0932 AM, EDT (1332 UTC) on 16 July 1969.

Road back?

9. kk135

kk135 Member

Hi Yogi, the resin kit was one of Glenns from RealSpace Models. I don't really remember why as it was available a long time ago but I think it was licensed and they just gave him a certain timeline for sales... And $55 ain't bad for a resin kit.

There was a guy a while back did a scratchbuilt Lunar Prospector where he added all the solar cells one at a time ... Now thats patience! ;-)
  10. ovation

ovation Member

I did make a prospector a few years ago,but it looked a bit basic when compared to other models,

11. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

JJ - basic is fine with me (it would be a charitable description of most of my efforts). At this point, I'm just filling gaps in the record. The more talented designers can modify/improve the designs as they see fit.

12. takeshi

takeshi Guest

Thanks for the link of the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter listen to be printed.
  13. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

You're very welcome. Anything else you need?

14. Darth Windius

Darth Windius Member

Thanks for the post:wave:

and Congratulations for your work:thumb:
  15. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Thanks Darth - LCROSS went splat earlier this month. Not as dramatic as the press hoped for but lots of good science. There's water up there!

16. arthur krull

arthur krull New Member

Sorry to be jumping in from out fo the blue, but I just found thiis thread and registered for this site as a result.

I like to build 1/48th scale spacecraft (especially the unmanned space probes) out of plastic. Your Clementine particularly caught my attention. I've been looking for scale infomation on that spacecraft for years! Did you find something that you can share? Is your model available for download? I'd like to use as a reference for a 1/48th plastic model if possible.

Thanks Much,

17. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Art - the Clementine is posted at the Lower Hudson Valley Challenger Center, real-space downloads. I used the information on-line from NASA for the buildup and a Google image search for <Clementine moon probe spacecraft>. The model is pretty basic, dimensionally correct but without "award winning" detail.

BTW - feel free to jump at any time with questions, corrections, or comments. I'm all for communication - two-way of course.
  18. rbeach84

rbeach84 New to Paper

Problems w/ download

Hi, just letting you know there is some problem downloading from the LROC website. Could just be a passing thing or something more permanent.
  19. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Thanks Robert. Must have been a glitch. Just checked and both the NASA LRO and the LCROSS/Centaur stack are available here:
    They still haven't posted the instructions there, but both the LCROSS/Centaur and the instructions for same are posted at Lower Hudson Valley (
    Hope you have a fun build.

20. Hi-Torque

Hi-Torque Member

Thanks for sharing.