Current Layout

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
You have gravel coming out of what looks like a coal mine cleaning plant.What bilding is that and who made it? Wather? It looks good.

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
Indeed! It's the thrill of the find! :D I even look behind the first item in a shelf even when the stores highly organized, just to see if there is some long, forgotted piece, or building that needs assembly. That store has the nicest couple of people,and their selection (espically of long out of production stuff) is hard to beat. That's probably whu she doesn't do mail order. Cool! and
I would never have known anything about if it hadn't been for you, thank you.

Have you started on the new layout?

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
:wave: Hey Miles,

I decided to switch the plan a little to alow me to have New River Mining Company and the Western Coal Flood Loader.

Here it is, it's basicly the same thing:

Attachments

• New Layout 4.jpg
    New Layout 4.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 106

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hey!

I was wondering where the trains were. I see that you do plan to have trains running in your new layout. Great!! Who controls that truck traffic?? Never seen so much traffic on a layout.

Gus (LC&P).

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
Thanks Gus,:)

I do have a little bit of trains right now on the layout but there all just sidings. But thanks to Miles, I can now have both trains and trucks on my layout.

O and I like a busy layout. I think it makes it look more realistic?

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Josh, the track plan looks GREAT! #6 switches eat up 1' each, if you stick with smaller engines and used #4's, might give you a little more space, just a thought.;) hope the new design works out for you!:D post pics as you go!:D -Deano

NSES44DC

Jun 24, 2006
Amherst Ohio
UP SD40-2 said:
Josh, the track plan looks GREAT! #6 switches eat up 1' each, if you stick with smaller engines and used #4's, might give you a little more space, just a thought.;) hope the new design works out for you!:D post pics as you go!:D -Deano

Actually your info just helped me with my yard im building onto my 5 x 10. I have larger engines but they will be out mainly pulling so they rarely will make it to the yard. Knowing what switches to get is great b/c i run the e-z track right now, since im just learning the whole modeling thing. I wanted to put in atlas track for the yard since it seems to take up less space and give me more branches for the yard. My yard will be around 2ft by 4ft.

Josh, the layout is looking great! Cant wait till ya start it!!

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
TruckLover said:
:wave: Hey Miles,

I decided to switch the plan a little to alow me to have New River Mining Company and the Western Coal Flood Loader.

Here it is, it's basicly the same thing:

That track plan looks a bit rough. to do all of that with #6 turnouts would take up room, since it doesn't seem the diagram is to scale.

I actually built a plan on my own a while back that i though would go great for you, and if you want i'll post it later. It has more room for the trucks, while still having enough for he different industries.

Also if you have a flood loader, they actually run those trains in a huge loop, and they filled the cars as it went around.

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
Here's the final plan...

...if you wish. The coal flood loader can be added if you have more space than the demensions of the current layout show. The huge truck terminal can be legenthened, or trimmed to fit availble scpace, leaving you flexible.

-Building Color Key-

The Dark Blue is the truck terminal
Teal is Glacier Gravel Co.
Baby blue is the ready-mix plant.
Red is Inland cement
Green is non-railserved industry (you're flexible)
Blue is magic pan bakeries
Lavender is the hotel

And bown, dark gray, and other green are respective groundcovers.

Note: spur on far upper right can either co to the building materials yard like you have, or to the coal buildings of you have enough room!

Oh! and just for you the silver rectangles are truck trailers, along with the red elipse cement mixers! ;) Enjoy! :)

Attachments

• Layoutideasm1.JPG
    Layoutideasm1.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 112

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
MilesWestern said:
I'm working with RTS 7.0, freeware from the atlas site. I'll be done in about 30 mins, ok?

I sat there for 2 hours trying to reproduce it exactly, but i couldn't do it. to much of it was "improvised" and in reality couldn't be done. when i tried to make something similar, it got massive very quick. If there is any room for it, i think i have something that would work.

you might need to click it and enlarge it for it to be clear. each grid is a square foot.

impossible2oa.gif