Current Competition - Boeing 747-400 Lufthansa (plastic model)

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by the4ce, Aug 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the4ce

the4ce Member

I seen this competition while browsing the main page on Zealot and I was thinking 'why not enter it?'.

I will enter the competition with a model of the Boeing 747-400 from the Lufthansa German Airlines.
    The model is made from plastic and was made by Revell, one of the best plastic model manufacturers in the world.

I purchased the model from a friend which stopped working on it. I have the model for 1-2 years and I stopped working on it after I painted it with the wrong type of grey :curse:, but I started to work at it again 1 week ago. So far, there is a lot more work to do, like putting another two engines on the wings, a lot of sanding and painting.

I hope at the end the model will look good.
  2. Maico Shark

Maico Shark Guest

Glad the contest inspired you to finish a great looking build. Good luck.
  3. the4ce

the4ce Member

Here's the final model.

(I will post more pictures in a couple of minutes)

4. the4ce

the4ce Member

5. the4ce

the4ce Member

6. the4ce

the4ce Member

Pictures from the construction process

(This are only to show some of construction steps)

I used Revell modeling putty to fill the gaps between parts and then I sand it down. This is a very complicated step because you need to apply the putty, wait it to dry, sand it down and check for errors, if there are some errors you need to repeat the process.

And now the painting. The colors you see are acrylic. I like that they dry quickly and are easy to use, plus that they don't smell very hard, but they can be scratched more easily than email paints.
    I used a little red for the blue, to be similar with the Lufthansa blue.

These parts are from the engine. I used email paint for this one and the color is similar to aluminum. For the darker aluminum color I put a little email black in it.

Some of the wheels were missing and I replaced them with ceramic ones. Before I stopped working at it for two years ago(see first post) I put by mistake excessive glue on the landing gear. I decided to leave it like this because I was afraid not assembly it correctly and then snap of the planes weight.

I just couldn't resist making a photo like this! :mrgreen: This is before I put clear, gloss paint on it.

And now the...decals...the most scary part in making a plastic model...(at least for me) The problem with this are that you need to put them in warm water for about 20 seconds and then put it carefully because you can destroy them very easily. I had some problems with them because they tear when I put them in water or trying to get them off the paper. Maybe it’s because the model is from 1993? Or maybe it’s because the paper was a little bend?
    I needed to put each one with the paintbrush on the model...hard work...

Who said plastic models where more easy than paper models? There are some more things I haven't done, like effects (rust, weathering). Sure that a paper model has its own complicated parts, but plastic models have their own too!

And here was the very short constructions process of this airplane.

Thank you. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.