current chicago railroad maps

gringo

Does anyone know where one can find current maps of the chicago area depicting the various railroads, and who operates them? Tried googling it, but didn't find what I was looking for.

Thanks!

gringo

I just looked at the CN site- not quite what I'm looking for. What I'm looking for is more of a road-atlas type deal, with the railroad lines depicted on them, with ownership. So that I could easily figure out where to go to watch CSS&SB trains, or BRC, or IHB, or EJ&E. Kinda like a railfan's map, if you will. Other than going to each website and printing out maps (some are really good, some are just schematics), I haven't found anything else.

Palmisano

That kind of information is public knowledge so you can find it, you'll just have to dig. You can try the US Geological Survey, which has detailed maps of everywhere. You can find it online I think. The public libraries of large cities have large map sections usually. Tell them you're looking for urban planning and city topographic and zoning maps. Most Railroads have technical and historical societies which are a big help also. You can also go to Google maps and punch in the location and biew a satelite image where you can zoom in and out. Nice for seeing exactly where things are.

L

lester perry

Try historical societies of the RR that serve the area.
Les

b28_82

I dunno if its on the internet but theres a book called the CORA and it has pages on pages of interlockings and routes in detail.

shufitz

I just now stumbled upon this site, while researching the same question. Here are several links to PDF maps:

from CMAP (Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning)
Chicago Area Freight Railroad Intermodal Terminals (Map 1 of 1)
Chicago Area Railroad Density (Map 1 of 2 and Map 2 of 2)
from Illinois Dept. of Transportation (includes a Chicago-area inset)
from Indiana Railroad

These show railroads only. If you want maps that overlay the railroads atop the street grid, check Cook County's website here; use the "township maps" listed at the bottom of the page. These are excellent.