Currell Graphics SpaceShipOne

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by RyanShort1, Jul 6, 2004.

1. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

Well, since the Ouragan kit build was such a disaster... I'm gonna try again with a different kit. I've started the Currell Space Ship One model.
    You can download the kit from BTW I'm sure mine won't look quite as good as a few of the model pictures already posted there, but I'll give it a shot anyway.
    I've cut out the first three fuselage sections. I'm still trying to decide if I'll do this one with the gear up or down... I like to display my models flying, and I'm a bit chicken when it comes to landing gear, but then again it would be nice and challenging.
    So far the fit is good and the instructions straightforward!

2. barry

barry Active Member

Ryan if your build is as neat as your cutting it should be A1

3. FredZ KSAC

FredZ KSAC Member

Ryan, I built mine with the gear up only because I forgot to put the two pennies in the nose AS THE DIRECTIONS SO STATE! Whoops! It is a neat model - however, the side booms will teach you the use of several new words :lol: Take your time and it is worth it.
  4. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

If you are going to hang the model up, or mount it on a stand of some sort, wheels up. I always think a wheels-up model sitting on a table looks very sad. You could of course make a White Knight to mount it on.....

I always remember what a RF101 pilot/modelmaking friend of mine once said, while we were looking at a competition table at the IPMS UK nationals. Virtually all the models were displayed with all their access panels removed and opened, radar exposed, engines, cockpits. All wonderfully modelled, but he hated it. His reason was if he saw a real aircraft on the pan with even one access panel open, it meant it was being worked on, and that usually meant he wasn't going flying that day! He would roar with laughter when he saw aircraft models all 'opened up', but fully armed as well, usually with a crewman standing by holding his helmet as if ready to go! " That jerk ain't goin' no place!" he would say!!

Tim P
  5. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

You're absolutely right about the panels and such! I personally like to see the clean lines of a model in a "ready to go" state. I appreciate the detail some folks can accomplish, but hey, I like to see the planes fly, and they don't fly with their panels open. That said, I can see a place for a panel open in a diorama of a pilot doing his Pre-flight checklist.
    Anyway, since I don't want to build a stand, I've decided to do the model wheels-down this time, and if someone ever designs the White Knight to go with it, I'll build it again wheels-up.

The build is going just fine. So far the sections seem to go well with each other and the fit is pretty good. I also like his formers with the tabs to help keep them in place. I did remember to glue the two pennies in the nose!
    One thing I'd be careful of in the future. I printed this model out on 110 lb. cardstock and at that weight the pieces you glue inside for the landing gear wheel well don't like to bend, thus leaving a bit of wrinkle in the skin after curving the part and glueing it together. I think I'd try to put the pieces in AFTER glueing the section up next time or finding another method of doing it.
    Below are the pictures.

6. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

SS1 update

Here are two more pictures. I like to test-fit the sections before installing the formers just in case.

7. jrts

jrts Active Member

Looking great.

I think this is the only one of his models I have not built yet, so I'am looking forward to seeing the rest of this build. Very clean and neat.

Keep going and more please :lol:

8. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

SS1 continued

Well, I got a bit more done on the SpaceShipOne last night. I've been a bit busy lately and haven't had as much time as I'd like. I built a new desk for the corner of my room and that took some time away from the model... But, now I've got more space to work and a much better place for the computer in my room.

I think if I was building this model a second time, I would print out one copy on 110 lb. cardstock and another on regular paper. I believe that if the connecting strips were on regular paper the formers might fit just a bit better.
    The landing gear struts are a neat little design but you MUST score them before trying to bend them to shape. Otherwise you WILL be sorry. The landing gear design is pretty clever and I'm looking foward to the finished project. I actually have a bit more done than shown here, but didn't get to use the digital camera past this.

9. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

Group and fellow forum members. I AM intending to return eventually, but there are some things that I NEED to get done here at home, work, and most importantly flight school that I need to concentrate on. I intend to finish the GIMP article and this build, but am putting them on hold for a while. Maybe a month or more...

Sorry it's come to this, but it IS neccesary. I cannot let this computer control my life or take away from study time.

10. Bob Ebophalus

Bob Ebophalus Member

I built mine gear down, simply because I am too lazy to build a stand for it.