Curling Iron Hot Wire Foam Cutter

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by XavierJ123, Dec 6, 2005.

1. XavierJ123

XavierJ123 Member

I didn't know where to post this so I hope this is okay. My wife discarded her curling iron after it fell apart. It still heats up fine but the part that hold the hair next to the hot iron fell off and can't be repaired. I was just wondering if a fellow could attach a copper wire to it somehow and convert it to a hot wire foam cutter. Has anybody ever done this?
  2. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Don't know about this, at least technically/electrically. The home-made hot wire cutter that I put together uses nichrome wire - very thin, takes little power to get hot, makes a clean cut. I would imagine that a thicker copper wire would make a messier, smokier cut?

Hope that helps in the absense of other answers...

3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Member

I don't know about a curling iron, but I did it with an old soldering gun and a piece of #14 copper wire.
  4. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

I wouldn't chance it. Most hot wire cutters rely on the current going through the wire to heat it up. You would have to attach the wire to the heated iron to transfer the heat. I don't know how long the heating element is, but you'd also have that to deal with since it would be exposed and could cause burned hands if you're not careful... And we all know that if it can happen, it will happen....:eek::eek::eek::eek:
  5. martyv

martyv New Member

Hey Guys,

I am the biggest salvager of them all and try getting two to three uses for everything but when it has a chance of burning the joint down I draw the line. I agree with others not to chance it. :wave:

Reuse on !!