CSX Tankers

TR-Flyer

Hi:
Was inspecting a warehouse the other day and saw these two CSX tank cars. Thought they were unusual.

Attachments

• csx-tanker2-sm.jpg
    csx-tanker2-sm.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 108
Well, what you saw were coiled steel gondola's. Those covers are lifted off with a crane and the rolls of sheet steel are unloaded. The covers are replaced and the car is sent on its merry way. They do have a tank car look, but they are water tight only to keep the steel dry. If you like I can post some shots of them with no cover. Also some have angular covers and others are made from fiber glass. Good shots by the way and they would make interesting models in S scale. :D

Greg Elems

TR-Flyer

Hi Greg:

Thanks for cluing me in. If these were the sort of thing used in the 50's i'd appreciate some more info. I think i could modify an old worn out Flyer gondola or flat car into one of these.

Unfortunately, they didn't start showing up until the 70's. From my reading, the method of hauling steel in the 50's was in gondolas with wooden cradles or in insulated box cars that kept the steel clean and dry. I will have to go back to my books I was researching in to find the kind that was shipped in box cars. Funny thing about research, you are looking for something else and read about different topics.

Greg Elems

Here is a short version from the BNSF that has the cover removed and the load showing.

Attachments

• 3-bn686159.jpg
    3-bn686159.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 84

TR-Flyer

Hi Greg:
I've seen pics of gondolas with coil loads. Seems like i read about boxcars being used but the insulated cars is new. Helped keep the humidity down and the surface rust in check?

Matter of fact, FLyer made a coil load for some of their gondolas. Think i can still get one from Joe's Train Repair but i may look into scratchin' one up.

Regards,
Ted