CSX, from Bright to Dark

SeriousSam

Nov 2, 2005
San Antonio
I have just aquired six N Scale CSX locomotives. There is one SD50, one Dash8-40C, two Kato SD40-2s, one GP40 and one AC4400CW. I have never modeled nor painted nor stripped a CSX engine, nor am I familiar with the line, since I mostly deal with BNSF, SP and UP. I am not a big fan of this "Bright Future" paint scheme with the gray bodies. But I absolutely love the way the "Dark Future" locomotives look with less yellow and completely blue bodies, yellow only on the nose and the very rear of the long hood. I want to paint these engines in the Dark future scheme and I have a few questions for those that are familiar with the line.

1.- Are the blues in the bright and dark futures the same blue?
2.- The yellow, same question as #1?
3.- The front and back porch and walkways are different colors on the two SD40-2s. Which one is correct? If both are correct (some prototypes having diff. colors n stuff) which one looks cooler?
4.-What is the lightning for?
5.-I love the way this SD70M looks. http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=112290

Maybe I should add CSX to my engine collection, as long as its in the Dark Future paint. What do you guys/gals think?

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
Well, not every locomotive, car, and station recieves the SAME shade of, say, CSX Blue. Paint Manufacturers strive for consistency, yet somehow it always comes out different, and the models are the best example of this. Just like in real life there is SO MUCH varation (due to weathering, batch differences, paint supplier, resistance to fading, and type of pigment used) that any of those "shades" of blue and yellow would probably be correct for the CSX. I know that SP Scarlet Red and SP Dark Lark Gray is NEVER the same shade between different manufacturers, or even different runs of the SAME model! :curse:

1. I'd Imagine so, because all that I mentioned above
2. same.
3. Each model manufacturer probably worked from a different prototype of the same TYPE of locomotive, so it allows for some varation
4. Radio (Or Locotrol??) Equipped?
5. I COMPLETELY AGREE! :)

SeriousSam

Nov 2, 2005
San Antonio
thanks. i was just checking cause like for say, the Rio Grande used a yellow, then later used a gold, or a different yellow or orange. Like, it literally had different colors that differed because of company changes, not because of weathering or other things. But if the blue is "suppossed" to be the same on the dark and bright futures, then im all set to start strippin' the bodies. Well, the bodies are gray (primer color?) so I might just wash it and apply a blue color and see how that turns out. Or maybe not. We'll see. Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the help. I really dont like the white roof on the cab. Why do they do that?

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
Your Welcome! :wave:

I see what you mean, the DRGW was odd like that, but hey, it could be worse!

"... I am not a big fan of this "Bright Future" paint scheme with the gray bodies..."
I believe the Gray Hood/Blue Trucks& Fuel Tank was called the "Stealth" Scheme.

I would think that in the hot n' sticky summers down there, that a roof that didn't ABSORB all the summer heat by being DARK blue, would be just a little bit nicer! :)

SeriousSam

Nov 2, 2005
San Antonio
oh yeah. sticky summer heat sucks. I just moved to south texas and im beginning to feel it. I used to live in the New Mexico mountains where you had to wear a sweater during the summer nights. I'll pretend my locomotives run up in the mountains somewhere and skip the white roofs. I wish undecorated engines werent so expensive :(

chessie4155

Mar 17, 2006
Vincennes, Ind.
www.geocities.com
Sam: I believe there is a difference between the Bright and Dark Future paints. The Blue in the Dark Future has a darker shade to it than the Bright Future blue, and the Yellow in the Dark Future has a more gold look to it than the Lemony Bright yellow in the Bright Future. The lighnting bolt I think means it's an AC unit.
I am absolutley no expert but I see CSX all the time. In my little world CSX doesnt exist yet.:D

SeriousSam

Nov 2, 2005
San Antonio
chessie4155 said:
Sam: I believe there is a difference between the Bright and Dark Future paints. The Blue in the Dark Future has a darker shade to it than the Bright Future blue, and the Yellow in the Dark Future has a more gold look to it than the Lemony Bright yellow in the Bright Future. The lighnting bolt I think means it's an AC unit.
I am absolutley no expert but I see CSX all the time. In my little world CSX doesnt exist yet.:D

Ive been looking at train paints, like from N Scale supply and other dealers, and have not found a different one for each. I can only find CSX blue. Its really hard to tell because when there is more yellow and gray on the engine, the blue stands out, and it looks darker. But when its a lot of blue and a little yellow, it doesnt seem as dark. I hope its not two different blues. the yellow seems pretty different. I have to do some research. Thanks for the reply.

"...YET" hmmmmmmm maybe u can do my CSX homework :D

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
SeriousSam said:
1.- Are the blues in the bright and dark futures the same blue?
2.- The yellow, same question as #1?
3.- The front and back porch and walkways are different colors on the two SD40-2s. Which one is correct? If both are correct (some prototypes having diff. colors n stuff) which one looks cooler?
4.-What is the lightning for?
5.-I love the way this SD70M looks.

1. No
2. No
3. Probably a side effect of having different colored handrails since they are cast as one piece
4. AC traction motors
5. ...

SeriousSam

Nov 2, 2005
San Antonio
railohio said:
Asked and answered. What else do you have queries regarding?

Well, I mean, you say they are different shades of blue and yellow. Do you know what they're called or if they're commercially available through model flex or any other manufacturers? Or which one is darker than the other? Thanx

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
YN3 is darker than YN2 for both colors.

I don't know what paints to use as I don't model the modern era.

SeriousSam

Nov 2, 2005
San Antonio
chessie4155 said:
Floquil makes them..
CSX New Image Blue #110357 1 oz. bottle
CSX New IMage Gold #110358 1oz. bottle
I would guess that other Mfgrs makes them as well..

hey, thanks. I'll try not to screw my locomotives up :thumb:

SeriousSam

Nov 2, 2005
San Antonio
oh yeah, i found another question to replace that 5. Is the Dark Future scheme on those SD70Ms an after factory paint job or were they delivered like that?

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
If they are SD70Ms then it would be CSX-applied. If they are SD70MACs it could go either way. YN3 was introduced in early 2002; I don't know which were the first units to have it factory-applied.