CSX Collision in Florida

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
I wonder how head on crashes can occur in this day and age. It is sad that the one conductor lost his life and the other three injured. The photo shows so much damage it is a wonder that three survived.

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
It could be a simple misreading of a train order, dispatchers fault, or it could be many other things. But it should barely happen with all this new technology out. Yeah right. They will still be wrecks because someone will slip up. Not saying anything bad about the railroads, but maybe they should take their time reading orders, following signals, other things and maybe they will have less wrecks and get home safely.

I feel sorry for the family of the lost loved one, and i hope that the other ones make a speedy recovery.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Well,there may be other factors as well such as crew fatigue,dispatcher error,disregard for signal and other such things..
Now,Last I heard all locomotives had signal indicators in the cab..What happen to this? A disregard or perhaps a crew asleep?

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
brakie said:
Now,Last I heard all locomotives had signal indicators in the cab..What happen to this? A disregard or perhaps a crew asleep?

That's not even close. It's required on a few certain lines but it's definately not an industry standard.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Brian,Time was when all locomotives that was used in main line service had signal indicators in the cab..This isn't anything new..The PRR had 'em in all road units,as did the N&W,B&O,C&O, and many others..The cab signal indicator would show the next signal's aspect before the engineer saw the signal..These was also found in steam locomotive cabs.Also time was when the engineer would call out the signal,then the fireman would repeat the call after checking the signal.Later after the firemen jobs was eliminated from diesel locomotives the head brakeman would repeat the called signal after checking the signal..

trainwhiz20

Aug 9, 2004
Tampa, FL
Re:

Yes, a tragic accident.

I really feel bad, considering this happened just across the county-line from my house.

Being involved in the 7 1/2" live steam community, one of our members knew the crew guys from Bartow and Lake Butler. He said both the conductor and engineer were in their 20's and fresh out of college, eager to work for the railroad.

It is so sad. :(

And just to think, all because the Miami-engineer couldn't possibly see the red signal before slamming into the other train. (The fog was so dense, no human could've possibly seen the signal, according to most...)