CSS Columbia

paperboy

Just a pic or two to show progress. I have built the casemate and installed 3 sides. I'll install the Brooke cannon through the port casemate side. Still a lot to do on it and never enough time.

Thanks Vern

Attachments

• DSCN1103.jpg
    DSCN1103.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN1110.jpg
    DSCN1110.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 17

loadmat

Paper Boy,

I am in the planning stages of building some Tinclads, both side and stearn wheel boats are available that took an active part in the riverine patrols during the American Civil War. Do you know if the Smithsonian has drawing for Tinclads, and how much was the design cataloge for the Ironclads? I do have a couple of riverboats from that era that I can convert, but would prefer to start from scratch.
Thanks,
Loadmat

paperboy

The Smithsonians warship catalogue is 15.00 US and 5.00 more for foreign orders. I dont have the catalogue any more to look at as I ordered the plans that I have many years ago. Have you looked at Taubmans website for plans?

Greg
Thank you for your kind comment.
Vernon

paperboy

A couple of pics as I worked a little while getting over a cold this weekend.

Vernon

Attachments

• DSCN1112.jpg
    DSCN1112.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN1113.jpg
    DSCN1113.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCN1114.jpg
    DSCN1114.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 10

paperboy

Thanks Steve about the decks. On my last night off for awhile I made cannon and carriages. So I added a couple of pics of the 10" Brooke pivot guns that were the heavy hitters for the Columbia. A photo of one is on the DANF site under Columbia. It is or was at the Washington Navy Yard.

Vernon

Attachments

• DSCN1132.jpg
    DSCN1132.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN1133.jpg
    DSCN1133.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 11

herrmill

She's looking very nice Vern! :thumb:

Am just about to start cutting out parts for my Tennessee but I'll need a sharp saw, not scissors or hobby knife for that work.

Chuck

paperboy

Hi Chuck

Thanks for the encouragement. How long will your Tennessee be when built? I hope you post some pictures of it.

Vernon

herrmill

Vern,

She'll be just under 35" long with 8" beam - the more I look at the hull templates I think I'm building a double-ended cigarette boat. :thumb:

You can view my ongoing Canonicus build with the start of Tennessee here USS Canonicus Monitor Build - RC Groups

A set of plans for both Eads Milwaukee & City Class river ironclads are on the way, so it appears the shipyard will be busy over the summer. I've set 5 Aug as my deadline to have all three on the water - am sure you understand the significance of that date.

This simple built-up hull construction translates into fast building, so I expect to have both Manhattan & Tennessee completed this month once the rivet / armor skins & fittings arrive from the States. Chickasaw's hull will begin as soon as receive the plans.

Chuck